MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-15-2004, 10:26 PM   #1
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Exhaust Tips?

Ok, at the risk of sounding like a goof, what the hell are these things? Are exhaust tips functional? Or, are they just for looks? I see some are rolled and some straight angle. What does that mean? Do they change exhaust note at all.

Companies like Flow Master sell these things. Do they compliment their exhaust systems?

Thanks!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:53 PM   #2
G-ForceJunkie
Registered Member

To my knowledge...
tips are strictly for looks (some cars don't have tips)
They run from your axle to the bumper
Might change exhaust note slightly, though I can't imagine it changing a lot
G-ForceJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Bri's ride
Registered Member

I had bought my mufflers and tips seperatly, so i had the mufflers put on first and the stock tips (2.5) put back on, then the new tips a couple days latter(3.0") with no sound difference, i supose u could get resonator tip, or u could get a honda,lol. i HATE that sound
Bri's ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 03:31 PM   #4
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Thanks guys. Seems like the general feeling is that these things are for looks, which is fine, if that's what you are looking for.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 01-20-2004, 11:42 AM   #5
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

If you plan on doing mufflers and tips, financially (and HP wise) it might make more sense to just purchase a full aftermarket cat-back system. You get the added benefit of bigger pipes with mandral bends, and a heck of a lot easier and cleaner install.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:41 PM   #6
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

The more I think of it, I probably should go Cat Back. I have the flows on order, but they are not expected to get in for quite some time. I really like the SLP exhaust. I was just thinking about budget, but in the long run, cat back is probably cheaper.

Question: Is any cutting required when doing a cat back? Seems like a "bolt on" job. I have no experience with actually doing any exhaust work.

My Stang:
Old 01-21-2004, 12:24 PM   #7
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

As far as I know, most people cut their stock cat-back in half for ease of removal. Can it be removed w/o cutting it?...I'm not sure.
An aftermarket catback is pure bolt on. Some people prefer the have their's welded together and do away with any clamps that are needed.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 04:50 PM   #8
FordFastGirl5.0
Registered Member

Default What about mufflers

While your on the subject of exhaust and everything I have a question on what is the best muffler you can buy, Im thinking about getting a new muffler soon and i was wanting something alittle better that sounds alittle deeper. I heard dynomax is good?
holly upper/lower intake, timing chains, F303 cam, 24lb fuel injectors, 75mm mass air meter, underdrive pulleys, 3:73 gears, BBK C.A.I., BBK long tube headers, Off road H-pipe, 17" cobra R's, 2800 stall yet to come.......
FordFastGirl5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:43 PM   #9
Kymmers
Registered Member

I recently had the SLP loud mouth exhaust (cat-back system) put on my car. It sounds great!!! The rear was dropped and the old system was dropped whole in case I ever had a problem with inspection. I am looking forward to getting the full SLP system.
Kymmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:21 PM   #10
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Kymmers:

Thank you for your comments. I am planning on ordering one. I found a local place that sells the Cat-Back for $310. Can you believe that?

Why are you concerned about failing an inspection? Please educate me on this as I did not realize there would be a problem. The last thing I need is old exhaust systems sitting around the garage.

Did you put in on your Vert? If so, how is the volume while crusing with the top-down? How does it compare to stock?

Blake

My Stang:
Old 02-23-2004, 08:06 AM   #11
Kymmers
Registered Member

Blake-

First, my husband bought the system for me for my birthday in November and had it secretly installed on the car while I was at work. (What a sweet guy!) Anyway, the mechanic he used told him that in NJ he may have a problem in the state inspection stations thats all.
Since it was done in Nov. I haven't had the opportunity to have the top down with it yet, . So I am not sure how it will be with the top down.
The sound is like night and day from stock. I have guys stopping and turning their heads. Some of my friends want to put it ontheir stangs now. It sounds really mean, she groowwls!!!!
There was an article about the system in FF & MM not too long ago either.
Kymmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:20 AM   #12
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Always great to see gals appreciate a Mustang! Funny, though, as my wife would not see an exhaust as a gift in the same way.

I can empathize wih you regarding the weather and not having the top-down as I live in North Eastern PA (Pocono Area).

Thank you for your comments. I am praying for summer.

My Stang: