MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-22-2001, 02:25 AM   #1
huttler
Registered Member

Exclamation Coming to the otherside

I currently own a 97 SS Camaro, and it is time to drive it into a portal to hell where it belongs. All of these cars, and when I say All I mean all of these (^%^*(&()&)))&^$# cars have cronic ignition problems and vibrations at speeds at 80+. If you go to a message board for camaro's everybody has the same problems. I've owned this car three months and have never had a more unreliable vehicle in my 6 years of driving. But now to the question I need to know. I don't know jack about Mustangs or Cobra's (I really like the Cobra's). So I need to know if these cars (94+) have any god awful problems like a camaro.
huttler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 07:15 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Hi Huttler, welcome to the Blue Oval side

Just FYI, the 94-95 cars use the good old pushrod 5.0, and are very easy and relatively cheap to mod...

96 and on:
In my opinion, the late-model modular motors are very stout, reliable, engines.
The only major issue I know about is the stock "plastic" intakes on the early 96-98 4.6 GTs. They like to grenade themselves (crack heavily) whenever they feel like it. Most of the time, it will fail after some boost has been added to the set-up. Mine grenaded shortly after the install of my Procharger P1SC blower. But I have heard of many occasions when one has grenaded through normal driving.

There is currently a TSB out on this and Ford will replace it for free on the 96-97 models if it fails "under normal use". (in other words, don't drive in there with a blower or a nitrous kit strapped on)
Also notice that I didn't include the 98, which is not in the TSB but seems to be the exact same intake....

The issue does not exist on any 99 and up Mustang...

I've also heard some grumblings about the early (96-98) T-45 transmissions letting go, but this too has (in the most part) been rectified by Ford in the 99 and up models.... and some may just miss the T-5

As far as reliability:
I bought my car brand new in late 97, and other than the intake issue, I have had no problems at all with stock portions of the car.

I do have an electrical problem while using my custom Auto-Logic chip, but I can't blame it on Ford...

I'm currently running 450hp at the flywheel with drag radials, go to the track often, and I'm still running great on my supposedly iffy early T-45. The stock clutch is just now giving me just a hint of trouble at 50,000 hard-driven miles. (It's time for a King Cobra clutch) I've only had to do some regular brake service (pads and the like) once. And guess what else? Not one squeak... Rides as quiet as the day I bought it...

While I absolutely HATE dealing with Ford service departments, the car itself has been worth every penny of the original 20k I spent on it.

Hope this helps...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 12:49 AM   #3
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

hammer is right on about this, i love my 00gt-if it was paid off- but it rides good, handles great, not one squeak or rattle , i dont exactly baby it either, so i suggest you test drive a newer stang,just cant wait to mod it some .good luck

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 07:48 PM   #4
I hate Rice
Registered Member

i've love my stang, the 4.6 is a great engine, expensive to make a n/a powerhouse but a good engine. even the vert is quiet on the inside and the handling is incredible. after owning one i know i will bleed blue for a lifetime