MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-19-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
urstangsmoke
Addict

Default throttle body and MAF

i need some information about these things. i am eventually going to do both of these, which one should i do first? i have heard to upgrade these you MUST upgrade the fuel injectors first, do i need to? my '03 GT is a daily driver in the summertime, so i need to keep everything reasonable, so would it be wise for a
75 mm TB or 70? 70 mm MAF or a 77? HELP
Old 01-19-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

You do not need to upgrade the injectors! All you need is a 80mm C&L maf with the 19# injector calibration ( comes that way ) and a BBK or simular 70 mm TB throw on a Dragon or Trickflow plenum and you've made about 10 to 15 rwhp ( don't believe the stats that say 10 - 15 hp gains per mod, It ain't gonna happen.

Here is the breakdown

C&L Maf with air filter box - near 200
Throttle body 130 - 180
Plenum 150 - 200

Exhaust 150 - 600
Gears 3:73 0r 4:10 - 300 - 500

And your in there!

Of course that is just the start, Ain't modding fun guys?

good luck and ask lots of questions!
Old 01-19-2004, 07:57 PM   #3
urstangsmoke
Addict

thanks a lot for all the info
Old 01-19-2004, 10:18 PM   #4
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Whoever told you that you need to upgrade your injectors is rediculous.
As far as the MAF, I like the Pro-M meters, but they will cost you a bit more $ than the C&L. Both are proven performers, so do some reasearch and pick the one you feel comfortable with.
I would skip the bigger TB and upper intake for a couple reasons, with the most important being that the money can be better spent in other places. A set of cams will cost about the same, but yeild much better HP results. Gears, exhaust, subframe connectors, a shifter, etc. would be on my list first.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:39 PM   #5
urstangsmoke
Addict

i did some research about the S&L MAF and only could find an
80 mm. i was orginaly looking for a 75, but would an 80 be more logical? would there be any effect on emissions? what are some advantages?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:01 PM   #6
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I'm pretty sure your stock MAF is 80mm.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:28 PM   #7
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

It is 80mm, and the 2002+ GT MAF is a pretty good one at that. So the last thing you want to do is go smaller.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:43 PM   #8
gilmoujr
Registered Member

Default From the horse's mouth

The C&L MAF for 2002 and up is an 85mm kit. The previous post is correct, your STOCK MAF is 80mm. I have an '02 pony and the C&L is 85mm. I would also recommend the pipe that comes at an extra cost. The rubber one that is stock flattens out somewhere in the middle. If you are in the mood to mod and have the dough, then I would also recommend the 75mm TB and the C&L intake Plenum. It will not get you HUGE gains but when you add all three at once, you will definitely FEEL it. Also, here is the order in which I modded my ride (3 ponies in 2.5 years).

1. Magnaflow Cat Back *(would have been later but this is a mod I like to do first so that I do not sound like every other stang on the road).
2. Gears (3.73)
3. Shifter
4. *probably where the exhaust would normally be
5,6,7 at the same time (with a quasi-custom tuned ship - defaults by MFG for the parts I installed)
5. Prochamber Exhaust (do not forget to Dremel off the ring on the Driver's side headers) - remember the MIL elims or the Chip
6. 85mm MAF
7. DiabloSport chip

~Take the following things out before or at the track
Passenger Seat (4 bolts), Spare Tire and Accessories, Passenger Headlight (allows cooler air to flow over the filter).
gilmoujr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 07:12 AM   #9
urstangsmoke
Addict

i didnt realize that the stock MAF was 80 mm. i already have a 3" mac cool air intake pipe and fenderwell filter. the c&l that i was looking at comes with a K&N air filter that inside the bay. i think ill keep the mac pipe, throw on the 85mm MAF and the K&N filter with the heat shield. ive read some articles about the mac cool air kit and hp gains of only 2- 5 due to the 2 90 degree bends in the pipe. this way with the K&N filter there is only 1 bend in the pipe and i should get better results.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:17 PM   #10
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

I think you have the right idea. The problem with the bends in the pipe is when a bend comes before the MAF. The air tends to go to one side of the MAF because of the differences in air velocities around the two different radius's of the bend....(orrr...some...thing...like.. that )
If you are running a straight shot into the MAF with a K&N cone filter like you said, then you shouldn't have to worry about any potential losses contributed to bends in the intake system.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:28 PM   #11
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Check my new thread/link titled "Full dyno testing on the C&L Plenum, 75mm TB, C&L MAF"
Old 01-22-2004, 07:17 AM   #12
urstangsmoke
Addict

good article about this stuff, keep up the good work ... i think you just made up my mind ... thanks for the help
Old 01-22-2004, 08:31 PM   #13
Bri's ride
Registered Member

anybody know of a maf sensor that will fit the k&n fipk
Bri's ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:28 PM   #14
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

This is really a great thread!

I spoke a while back to someone at C&L. Their position is to keep the intake pipe straight. Even if it is under the hood and you are getting slightly hotter air than a fender wall mounted filter, the performance gains are higher as the turns interfere with the MAF.

But, maybe they are just trying to sell their stuff.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:45 AM   #15
urstangsmoke
Addict

i've heard that from a few credible sources so i dont think they were just trying to sell