MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
awwphooey
Registered Member

Unhappy 2000 GT Fuel Pump issues, please help.

Hello everyone-

This is my first time posting, I appreciate your experience and hope you can help.
I have a 2000 GT with 97K, all stock. It's been a great ride, so nothing to complain about- but last night the fuel pump went out on it.
I had it towed to a local shop and the mechanic there, who I trust, said replacing the pump with anything but a FORD OEM would be a mistake. He mentioned that in his experience, the majority of the ones he's installed (greater than 70%), that aren't OEM fail in short time.

Additionally, a friend of mine who also used to work for a FORD service department said the same thing (he put it at about 50% failure rate).

An OEM pump goes for about $500.00 at all of the local dealers (a couple of them even told me they are really hard to get right now).

In checking out a few retailers online (Steeda, American Muscle, NAPA, etc.), an appropriate model pump seems to run about 150.00 to 200.00. As much as I hate to come off as a "cheapskate", it being right after Christmas and all, I'm not exactly flush with funds. Well, to be completely honest- I'm broke!

With all of the pumps and pump manufacturers I see online, it seems hard to believe that my only option is a $500.00 OEM pump. Is the information above accurate?

If I have to bite the bullet and wait a few weeks to buy an OEM, then that's what I'll have to do (I can get to work in my beater Ranger for now), but I thought I'd get advice from you folks before taking that plunge.

If the above is not the case, I’d sure appreciate any vendor/part recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
Phoo
awwphooey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: