MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Poll: Tranny Choice?
Poll Options
Tranny Choice?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2003, 08:40 AM   #61
jaxter1
Registered Member

...some misconceptions to clear up....any 5sp will have better ratios, should handle more power stock, delivers more RWHP due to lack of power-sucking converter, moving parts, etc. and will be lighter. Not to mention, of course, much more reliable (if you know how to clutch) modulating of wheelspin both in a straight line, and more importantly, on any turn, esp with RWD cars. It's a no-brainer. More power, more control, less weight. Any fool that can halfway-decently drive a stick will always be faster and quicker than an auto, period. Double-clutching, powershifting, ball-and-toe rt footedness are just more advantages. Autos were made for women and 1000HP machines, aside from that, they're wasteful. Oh, just to repeat...ratios....makes a big difference in flat-out racing, ask anyone about 3rd gear at hwy speeds. Also, shift kits are nice, but they usually kill your univ joints and rearend. That nice "bang" has repercussions......and like several have said, takes a long while to learn a stick well, even to get used to the feel of a new one. Overall, that's the reason Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Lancia and Porsche stuck to what obviously worked best. Sure, they all dabbled in autos...and they were the worse mistakes.....just look at 'traction control', that's the best 'tech' I have for wheelspin....I can do better w/o it in my 'stang more often than not so far.
jaxter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:27 PM   #62
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Default Very nice

Very nice post just above... *** Round of applause *** i couldn't have said it better my self...
Ported Factory Heads, New Performance valvetrain , BBK 62MM TB, Sean Hyland Spec Stage One Cams, Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch, Steeda Tri-ax, Mac Cold Air, Saleen Wheels (18x9 & 18x10), Among other things...

"I Like anything Fast Enough to Do Something Stupid In"
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:22 PM   #63
jaxter1
Registered Member

Uh-oh, bit of encouragement, I'm off again.....OK, lets establish there is no "perfect" auto....though it's getting there....Tiptronic still's buggy...but manually deploying a clutch, real-time, and controlling your gearing/throttle will always be a more natural (and lighter and less buggy) way to drive a car, straight line spinning out or in curves. A housewife in a 350hp X-class Bimmer....that's one approach to driving. Prob breeze past man. Gt's and Cobra's every time, rain or shine, -when not expected.....but any monkey with a stick can outgun much higher-HP auto cars right off the line, AND through the gears, when they know how to use the tranny and feel like it. Back in the day, my last 5.0 had a good 1/2 sec lead on any auto 'stang. That t-5 was glass, but still better than the cruddy AOD back then. Now that I have a stock Tremec, I feel no need for worry. But hey, it all comes down to FUN. Only a housewife considers an auto Bimmer fun. Also, isn't that newer AOD squatted out at a very low top speed? Just curious about that....and let's not get into final drive ratios or mileage, either...hohoho. My GT is a challenge at top speed with the top down, stupid fun......on the other hand, any sane person would enjoy a fastback auto even if it's slower at WOT/FDR.
jaxter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:45 PM   #64
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Did some one say the T-45 is junk??? Wow...There actually pretty darn stout Manuals once you put a shifter with stops on it (To Avoid breaking shift forks) A hell of alot better than a T-5 of any spec.

As for White SVT's writting...but you have met your match...hehehe.. I write also, mostly car stuff, and sci-fi. One thing though...why would the Speedo jump up when the clutch is depressed??? Cant figure that one. Maybe you ment tach.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 03:28 PM   #65
carlos.elliott
Registered Member

I have one of each and depends on the mood I am in on which I drive. Manual is more fun and auto for longer trips. But love them both
carlos.elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 03:53 PM   #66
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Am I the only one that's noticed this topic is over 2 years old, and it's still riddled with bs that hasn't been corrected? Not that the original participants from over 2 years ago are still around.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:13 AM   #67
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Re: The Great Debate

Andy Jensen drives his '63 Vette to 220 mph in the traps in 6 seconds and has 5 or 6 gears that he shifts in that short period of time.

Now that's driving.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:33 PM   #68
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I'm all about manual transmissions. They do suck in crawling traffic, especially if you have a stiff clutch. Autos are nice for driving without thinking about it, Manuals you actually have to "drive" the car.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #69
96gtmadman
Registered Member

can anyone tell me where to locate the purge valve on a 96 gt????
96gtmadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #70
goodyear1984
Registered Member

id rather have a 5 speed but there alot of money to get on that will hold power,not blow up and actually shifts.yea if u have a 12 or 13sec car not a big deal a t5 is fine..but a c4 3 speed with the right converter will take time off you et,the c4 is light and doesnt take much power to turn it and there about half the price of a tremec....but 5 speed is too much fun to drive
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #71
1965GTO
Registered Member

I'd take a manual for drag racing if I could afford a really good one, otherwise the auto is better. For a road course the manual is better and better for gas mileage. Sometimes auto companies claim higher mileage figures for their automatics by 1 mpg highway or something like that. But I say they are lying because they want to sell the automatic cars that cost more money.
1965GTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: