MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-27-2004, 12:48 AM   #1
crazy4197
Registered Member

Default Which to buy '04 Cobra or '01 S281

I have never had a car and now I dont know which to chose: a '04 Mystichrome Cobra (supercharged, 54 miles, $33,000) or a '01 Yellow S281 Saleen (9500 miles, $26,500). I have never driven either one and on a test drive I really cant test them out like I would like to help me make a decision, so I would like any info. on the handling of each, horsepower, and anything else that might be helpful in my decision. Thankx.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:09 AM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

IF you can realy purchase a MYSTYCHROME COBRA for that low price than you had better run your azz over there and get it now. They will be a collectors item and will hold there value over the years. The 04 cobra drives nice and hauls f-ing azz. the s281 is a nice car but is just a 01 GT with parts slapped on. Also the S281 has different options so you need to be carefull you are not buying the lower priced low option model and paying for the higher priced model. A fully optioned S281 probably handels better than the cobra but will have it's azz handed to it on the track against the Cobra. Cobra has 390 base Hp and with under 500 bucks of easy mods you can be pushng 450HP easy. The S281 has 285 - 400 depending on the options( S/C or not).

Why have you never had a car?

If your under 21 you can forget buying either because you can't get insurance on either for under 1500- per month
Old 03-27-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

DITTO! The '04 all the way! Will hold value much, much better and is a way better car.

But, I would possibly choose an '04 Mach 1. $26K new. It will run with the Cobra from Stop Light to Stop Light before the Cobra gets a chance to pound it.

I am curious about the insurance question. My '00 GT cost 30% more to insure than my $40k+ '02 Suburban. If you are young...God help you. Pay for college or buy a house instead. At least you will feel like you are getting something.

If you are over 65, the the insurance won't be a factor at all.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Depends on if yyouu want the show or go!

As for "the s281 is a nice car but is just a 01 GT with parts slapped on", I think that's a little short sighted and biased.

The same could be said of all tuner cars.

Given your choices, it would depend on what you want the car for.
The 04 Cobra is great car to tune and tweak if you want a stong overall performer (1/4mi and road course). The SALEEN would also qualify depending on which version you pick. So it's all relative to your expectations.

Elaborate a little more on your buying situation.
  • $$ to spend
    desired end state for th vehicle
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 02:10 PM   #5
surfbeast
Registered Member

A base S281 is a stock GT with a realy nice suspension kit, A body kit, and a hot tune. I may be leaving out a few items but not much... things like 1600 dollar overpriced rims don't count to me in the "value" catagory. I have seen people selling used base S281's for way more than you would pay for a used GT with all the same mods. You pay alot for the name. That was my point, don't pay for something that aint all what it's cracked up to be!
Old 03-27-2004, 04:45 PM   #6
04S/CStallion
Registered Member

No offense to anyone but if you can get over the gross looks of a mach1 then that is the way to go, just throw an ati procharger on there and the cobra can only wish it could keep up. But don't get me wrong the S281 is definately a sweet looking car!! But if you want a stock car the just is perfect all the way around without having to do anything the cobra is a better pick, besides that is such an awesome color for the cobra.
04S/CStallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
04S/CStallion
Registered Member

Oh and if you have never had a fast car before, you should take into consideration of being very prepared before you give it hell!! That was probably a stupid comment and the huge duh factor, but I hate to hear about someone ruining either one of those cars.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:52 AM   #8
explicitone
Registered Member

the cobra hands down is the better car all around

the motor can handle more power and abuse(there are 8sec stock blocked 03/04 cobras out there)

and as for the mach 1 reply above
a mach 1 with a procharger will not last to long with the crap pistons and rods plus they have over a 10-1 compr. ratio

one thing the mags dont tell is the mach 1 they ran the story on already had the motor let go

in the world of factory mustangs the 03/04 cobra is the king
for now

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 07:22 PM   #9
04S/CStallion
Registered Member

Ok sorry I was under the impression the Mach1 had the same exact motor as the Cobra minus the charger. So i retract my previous statement.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:30 PM   #10
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 04S/CStallion
Ok sorry I was under the impression the Mach1 had the same exact motor as the Cobra minus the charger. So i retract my previous statement.
the only thing that is the same is the crank shaft but that is only in the 5-speed the crank in the auto is a cast crank

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 03-28-2004, 08:07 PM   #11
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Regarding the Mystichrome Cobra, that paint job is a bit "bling - bling" for my taste. And, how the crap do you fix it or make a repair?

I still like the Mach 1, though. I might actually had bought one if they ever made a vert.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 03-28-2004, 08:14 PM   #12
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
Regarding the Mystichrome Cobra, that paint job is a bit "bling - bling" for my taste. And, how the crap do you fix it or make a repair?

I still like the Mach 1, though. I might actually had bought one if they ever made a vert.
it has to be fixed or repainted by a ford rep
they wont give the code for the paint to anyone

they fly out repaint it and take the left over paint with them when they leave

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 03-28-2004, 11:51 PM   #13
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

They have got to be kidding! For paint! Good grief, that's enough to keep me from wanting one. I would have to say that car has a real small market....but I guess that's their point.

The old saying "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" comes to mind. But I think in this case it's more of a "If you have to ask, you just don't understand it" sort of thing. Well, I asked....so you know what that means.

My Stang:
Old 03-29-2004, 01:02 AM   #14
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

The is a guy here where I live that has a turbo charged mach 1. He is running 8 psi of boost and making 520 at the wheels. He was in mm &ff back in November.

Pretty cool if you ask me.

Oh about your dilemma 04 cobra all the way.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 04:53 PM   #15
GodStang
College Stanger

If you want speed STAY AWAY from the s-281. My buddy just bought one that was supercharged and he tried to race me Saturday nite in my stock cobra. I beat him and that is with a busted up tranny that does not shift very well. But he gets a million looks and everyone asks him "is it real?" And yes it is.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:19 PM   #16
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
The is a guy here where I live that has a turbo charged mach 1. He is running 8 psi of boost and making 520 at the wheels. He was in mm &ff back in November.

Pretty cool if you ask me.

Oh about your dilemma 04 cobra all the way.
if it has the stock bottom end it wont last to long with the weak ass pistons and toothpick rods

that kind of power is going to window the block

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 03-31-2004, 12:30 AM   #17
TARZAN
Registered Member

Get a Cobra, and thank me now.....