MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-06-2002, 01:18 PM   #1
surfbeast
Registered Member

Question "VERT" top cleaning

Can anyone give advice on Vert top cleaning? I use a Mothers top cleaner, but what about any other products to protect or enhance the top. Any suggestions on what NOT to use.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2002, 09:44 AM   #2
HarryP
Registered Member

Question White Top?

I live in FL and had a 98 3.8 CVT with a White Top.God that was that a disaster!
I tried "everything" trying to get "Black" mold off of it and nothing worked(white shoe polish nor Bleach was'nt a good idea either).
So I just went and traded it for a 2000 GT CVT(Black,Black,Black)anf founturely now I have a garage to keep her in.
If you can't get a good answer here,I suggest contacting a canvass maker company.They should know what will remove fungus and black stains(now with a black top,no worry about black fungus).
(Plenty of Mustang "link's")
HarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 05:05 PM   #3
Rally
Registered Member

Default Re: White Top?

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryP

If you can't get a good answer here,I suggest contacting a canvass maker company.They should know what will remove fungus and black stains(now with a black top,no worry about black fungus).

I believe that the Mustang tops are vinyl. To that end, I would look for vinyl cleaners. Probably the top cleaner you bought, surfbeast will do pretty well. The important thing to remember is to not use things that will dry out and crack the vinyl. Bleach probably isn't the best idea there.

Also, I don't know where you live, but you should try to keep it from sitting under the sun all day. If you have no choice, invest in a car cover. I have a 97 vert and I keep it covered.

One last thing. I generally don't try to put the top up, if it has been down, when it is cold (like at night) I try to put it up before dark. This way I avoid stretching the cold vinyl.

K&N...Tri-ax...Steeda pullies...
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 12:13 AM   #4
HarryP
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: White Top?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rally

I believe that the Mustang tops are vinyl. To that end, I would look for vinyl cleaners. Probably the top cleaner you bought, surfbeast will do pretty well. The important thing to remember is to not use things that will dry out and crack the vinyl. Bleach probably isn't the best idea there.
Vinyl is more like it.I never did try Simple Green which everyone seems to swear by for just about everything.
(Plenty of Mustang "link's")
HarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 04:53 PM   #5
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Default Vinyl or Canvas...

Some Mustang tops are vinyl, some are canvas... You can tell by looking to see if you can see the "threads"... (you can see the threads in Canvas, vinyl is more smooth.) My '98 GT vert came with a white Canvas top... I have never been able to get the "dirt" completely off of it so I just leave the top down as much as possible.
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote