MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-14-2002, 03:22 PM   #1
lowerswill
Registered Member

Default Tune up

My 96 stang is in dire need of a tune-up. From looking at it, it looks like it still has the original plugs and wires. I am going to use performance wires but no idea as to what plugs would be the best.

Is there a true difference in plugs? if so, which one do you guys recommend?
I used to always go with the best priced ones but that was before I had a nice car. Any suggestions would be appriciated. If there is any other advice for the tune, please share..
lowerswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 04:27 PM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I like the Ford 9mm wires the best, but I'm sure there are better out there. But you won't go wrong with the ford wires.

I would keep to Ford replacement plugs too.

You should look at your coolant, it may also need a change. Depending on your mileage, you may also want to do a tranny oil swap and rear differential oil swap, but only if you've got some miles on the car.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 05:01 PM   #3
lowerswill
Registered Member

Currently I have about 71k miles on it. i am not sure if the coolant has ever been replace considering the plugs are still original. I was actually planning on changing the coolant this spring. I didn't know that you should do a tranny oil change. I was always told that a standard never needs changed. I never thought about the differential. Thanks for pointing that out.
lowerswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 10:12 AM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

If anyone ever tells you that a fuild never has to be changed, tell them to get back in there 9 second stock civic and go bug the other ricers.

I can't remember when you should change the tranny fluid on a 5 speed. I think it's 60,000 miles.

Lubricants are an essential part of any machine. They must always be clean, provide the proper lubrication (viscosity) and have the proper additives (to prevent rust, frothing or whatever).

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 05:34 PM   #5
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Default $.02 about wires...

I bought the FRPP 9mm (red) ignition wires and they are a bit too big for the stock wire looms... If you use a dremel and slightly "core" out the plastic, they will fit just fine. I haven't replaced my plugs yet but I hear platinum is not the way to go...

(The red wires really dress up my engine...)
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote