MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-26-2002, 10:21 AM   #1
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Default Aftermarket Mod Cams

Does anyone know roughly how much power you will gain by changing the cams on a stock 2V? These haven't been tested in any mags. Also I have heard that Crane makes cams for the modulars but I didn't find them on their website.
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 01:11 PM   #2
Snakeman
Registered Member

Default i'm not sure about hp increase...

but http://www.seanhylandmotorsports.com has a special on billet cams for the 2v @ 595 bux or so...

the website is to drool for...
Old 02-26-2002, 02:17 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I heard that someone dyno'd an extra 15 or 20 hp with Crane regrinds on a fairly stock 2V. I think the regrinds are only $300 or $400. They aren't on the website, but you can call them up and ask about them.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 09:51 AM   #4
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Ahh, I see. Yes Snakeman, I'm very familiar SHM. But I didn't know they had a special on the 2V cams now. $595 is pretty cheap considering they are normally $800. For all you 4.6 guys, GO TO www.seanhylandmotorsport.com!!! They have any part you'll ever need for any modular Ford engine because that is all they do.
With a 2.21 60ft
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
Old 02-27-2002, 12:25 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

The only problem with the SHM cams is the 5-speed version makes peak power at 6500rpm - past the stock rev limiter. The automatic tranny version is supposed to make good low end and has a power peak that's a little more friendly for stock motors.
I also just read about a newer GT with Crower cams, but I'm not sure if those are available to the general public yet.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:39 AM   #6
SLOW 97
Registered Member

I've also heard Erson is developing cams for Mod Stangs but you can't buy them yet. Right now even companies like Edelbrock and Holley are developing aftermarket heads and intake manifolds for the 4.6. Us 4.6 guys need to let the aftermarket know we want (and need!) parts for the modulars. It would great if the aftermarket for the 4.6 could reach the status that the 5.0 has reached.
With a 2.21 60ft
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
Old 02-28-2002, 03:56 PM   #7
Snakeman
Registered Member

Default i got a set of 4v blower cams

from them --SHM-- a few weeks ago for $650!
they'll top off the ported heads i found in L.A.
and i just got off the phone with them...
i ordered one of the 575HP shortblocks

i guess i'll need to go shopping for those jba shorties to finish off the combination...maybe a mild port on the intake...bigger injectors and a 12lb pulley would just about do it...

Old 03-14-2002, 01:55 PM   #8
SD Wheeler
"The Game"

Quote:
Originally posted by SLOW 97
Ahh, I see. Yes Snakeman, I'm very familiar SHM. But I didn't know they had a special on the 2V cams now. $595 is pretty cheap considering they are normally $800. For all you 4.6 guys, GO TO www.seanhylandmotorsport.com!!! They have any part you'll ever need for any modular Ford engine because that is all they do.
Oh yeah sure..........be sure and have your wallet out and ready so they don't have to beat you for your money. For all you who don't know................SHM isn't the only place to get modular power anymore. Stop and take a look around.

Now then. Crane regrinds are very good for street/strip type cars. They have several lift and duration numbers to choose from. I have several customers with them that are easy high 12 second cars. Total on them usually runs around $350 (cams, lash caps, shipping).

I also have regrinds from Erson that are done to my specifications that offer a bit more performance potential than the Crane cams due to different duration numbers. I can tailor them to your application so you don't have to spin the engine to 6500 just to make power. Pricing on them is $250.

Another thing...........the two valve engine makes a majority of it's power below 6000 rpm. That is where the fattest part of the curve is. Try to tailor your combinations to take advantage of this curve and you'll be better off. Leave the high rpm stuff to the four valve engines.
FFW M/M #30-sponsored by Strictly Performance

Moderator, Modular Motor & Big Block Forums
Hardcore5.0
SD Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 05:04 PM   #9
skz4u
Registered Member

Talking 4.6L Cams

I have found out that Crower does sell cams for the 4.6L. They are the cheapest that I have seen yet, at $250.00 for regrinds. Here is their link if anyone is interested: http://www.crower.com/cat/domestic/ford/main.shtml
skz4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 05:10 PM   #10
skz4u
Registered Member

Talking 4.6L Cams

I have found out that Crower does sell cams for the 4.6L. They are the cheapest that I have seen yet, at $250.00 for regrinds. Here is their link if anyone is interested: http://www.crower.com/cat/domestic/ford/main.shtml
Old 03-15-2002, 02:09 AM   #11
Rally
Registered Member

How do cam regrinds, or aftermarket cams for that matter, affect the engine at lower rpms; at idle for instance? Is this a mod that is a bit harsh for your typical daily driver/street warrior, and thus usually reserved for strip cars? Or can even street vehicles benefit from the power gain, without sacrificing drivability?

K&N...Tri-ax...Steeda pullies...
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 09:56 AM   #12
skz4u
Registered Member

Cool

Hey Rally, as for the cams, you have to look at the specs of the cam to determine how it will effect the engine. You always want to look at the duration @.050 not advertised, and the lift. Most companies will post at what operating range the cam works best, so that you can make a better desicion. If you checkout this link:http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/html/cat05.html (Gotta thank SD Wheeler for this link to SHM) you can see that they have 2 stages for the naturally aspirated engine. Stage 1 will still give you a decent idle and give you more HP and TQ from the mid-range on up. Now stage 2 will give you an eractic idle and you will lose low end TQ, but your gains on the mid to top end will simply amaze you. As the duration # gets higher, this typically pushed your HP operating band higher in the RPMS. As your lift gets higher, it typically builds your engine more TQ in the upper RPM range also. Now I don't know what the stock specs are, if anyone knows that would be a great help. It would give you a baseline to judge off of to see how high you want to go. Plus I don't know if these cams are 50 state street legal yet either. I hope this helps rally.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:50 AM   #13
SD Wheeler
"The Game"

First.......the Crower cams are $250 EACH. Yup........$500 for a set of regrinds.

Second.....the SHM cams are pretty wimpy. The Stage 1 cams are nothing more than stock PI cams. The Stage 2 cams are essentially blower cams. Here is an example for comparison:

Stock PI cams: .510"/201 duration-Intake
.530"/210 duration-Exhaust
113.5 lobe centers

SHM Stage 2 cams: .495"/230
114 lobe centers

Single pattern with low lift and high duration numbers. This will lead to difficult tuning, oddball idle problems, stalling and surging. You will get a big time lope and high rpm power but that's about it. Not a good tradeoff in my book.

The other aftermarket camshaft regrinds feature more lift than the stock cams and improved duration numbers with more narrow lobe center angles. I have two different N/A regrind cams that I normally suggest for most of my customers. They have a nice lope at idle (but not earth shaking); build considerable low and mid-range power; have no tuning or idle issues. Once you figure out camshaft dynamics and how they affect the operation of the engine and it's powerband you will see clearly that single pattern, high duration cams just aren't the answer for 99% of the cars out there.

Hardcore5.0
Old 03-18-2002, 10:22 AM   #14
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Hey SD, you guys at DTA sell the Modmax parts right? How many rear wheel ponies could I expect from the N/A Hi- Perf Street/Race cams? It's probably pointless to swap cams right now since my car still has the stock Non-PI heads (That will change soon) but I'm just curious because they are relativley cheap.
With a 2.21 60ft
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
Old 03-19-2002, 04:44 PM   #15
SD Wheeler
"The Game"

The ModMax two valve cams aren't available yet. Should be roughly another month before I can get my grubby little paws on them. The N/A street/race cams should be killers. From all the research I've seen they should be an easy 25-35 rwhp bolt in. Couple them with ported PI heads on your early 4.6 and you've got the makings of a 12 second ride. Pricing is $395 per cam retail. I should be able to save you some coin off of that price.

The DTA regrinds are available now and are priced at $250. N/A street/strip cams will really bump up the low and mid range torque which is where you spend a majority of your driving time. The throttle response is really great.........this makes them exceptional add-ons for an automatic car.

Hardcore5.0
Old 03-20-2002, 09:53 AM   #16
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Sounds good! When I get a little more cash I'll give you guys a call.
With a 2.21 60ft
Coming Soon......
-4.10's