MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2002, 09:24 PM   #1
springs_stang
Registered Member

Talking 97 GT now im my garage

Well after searching high and low I have finally purchased a virgin 97 GT Coupe, 5-speed, in laser red; now that I'm a grown-up (kinda) I think I deserve a V8 The car is pretty basic interior and exterior, notice not even a wing. I'm looking around for new rims and tires and leaning toward the Bullitt style in the original color. Whats the consensus about size, 17X8 or 18X9 (use=daily driver/street race/canyon blasting)? And after the tires, what would be the 1st engine/drivetrain mods you guys would go for (not planning on supercharging or NOS....yet)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang-front-left.jpg (50.9 KB, 53 views)

MODS: Steeda Tri-Ax, Steeda T/A, FRPP 3.73s, FRPP Alum. Driveshaft, Magnapack cat-back, MM C/C plates, Fox Lake PI heads, BBK LTs, waiting on brown truck with with my Comp Cams

197.3rwhp
272.8tq
springs_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 11:22 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

I'd go with 17x8 bullit rims...

First mods:
3.73 gears and a shifter
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 06:06 PM   #3
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Congrats on the purchase.
I'd stick to 17's for the rims and tires.
Hammer is right on with the gears and shifter for your first mods. After that you can go with a H or X-pipe, mufflers or catback, bigger MAF, and U/D pulleys.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 10:00 PM   #4
springs_stang
Registered Member

Thanks for the info! I've decided on the pulleys from Steeda, and I'll probably go with the 3.73s, but does anyone know what kind of rpms I'll be turning at around 75mph? The new shifter seems to be a must! The oem seems to be a POS, especially 2nd to 3rd. Anyone have an opinion between the Steeda Tri-Ax and the Pro 5.0?

If I could keep myself out of the Stang I could reply quicker
Old 03-23-2002, 03:21 AM   #5
Rally
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by springs_stang
Thanks for the info! I've decided on the pulleys from Steeda, and I'll probably go with the 3.73s, but does anyone know what kind of rpms I'll be turning at around 75mph?
Try this site for the answer...you can play around with a bunch of options.

http://www.corral.net/tech/gearcalc.html

Getting the gears, shifter and pullies is a nice start. Faster starts, better shifts, and a little added power on the cheap. Nice. I'm doing the same myself.

K&N...Tri-ax...Steeda pullies...
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 12:26 PM   #6
springs_stang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rally

http://www.corral.net/tech/gearcalc.html

Thanks for the link, it actually answered another question I had been wondering about also. I figure I need to keep it cheap the first few months so the wife doesn't have fit when I tell her what I really want....TDC Stage II btw how do you like your Tri-Ax?

MODS: Steeda Tri-Ax, Steeda T/A, FRPP 3.73s, FRPP Alum. Driveshaft, Magnapack cat-back, MM C/C plates, Fox Lake PI heads, BBK LTs, waiting on brown truck with with my Comp Cams

197.3rwhp
272.8tq
Old 03-24-2002, 02:09 AM   #7
Rally
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by springs_stang
how do you like your Tri-Ax?
I love it!

This is one of those no-brainers. The stock shifter really is feeble, so it needed to go. The Tri-ax in nice because it has stops that protect the shift forks and action that is crisp and precise. The 2-3 shift can happen by simply looking cross-eyed at the shifter, it's that easy!

The Tri-ax is one mod that I have NEVER heard a bad report on. Usually someone has had a bad experience with pretty much everything, but not with the Tri-ax.

K&N...Tri-ax...Steeda pullies...
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 11:41 AM   #8
southernstang97

Talking I have a 97 five speed too !!!!

GREAT BUY !!! I love my 97 stang and have done a lot of mods too it !! I have put 373 in mine and the rpm did not change much at all , must say that when I was going to have the 373 put in I was thinking of the rpm's too , but by far out of all the mods I have done the 373 is the best mod. But a shifter is a must too. And I would stay to the 17x8 unless you are setting your stang up for show then the 18's will be nice , I have 17x8 cobra's rims and the ride is nice and look is just right for are year of stang! i will tell you this all so , the mods for this car cost ALOT and seems to be a never ending story but if you love your car like I love mine you will drop the cash!!! Let me know if you have any other questions southernstang@hotmail.com! Here is a list of my mods so car

steeda shifter , mac power pulleys , 373 gear . 80mm c&l maf , 70mm throttle body , bbk fuel reg , Mac cold air kit with k&N filter , Ford motorsport short headers , mac off road h-pipe, 2 1/2" mac cat-bac system,ford motorsprot alum driveshaft , ford motorsport lowering springs ( 1 1/2 in.) , Mac cast/camber plates, superchip , Mac white face gagues , 17x8 cobra rims

NOw saving for the pi heads swap !!!
Old 03-25-2002, 04:18 PM   #9
czstang1701
Registered Member

sweet.. yah i put a Tri-Ax shifter on my stang, and it made shifting so much more clean. the feedback was great.. i dont know anything about the Pro 5.0, but im going to definately recommend that you get the Tri-Ax..

Brand new! w00 h00! :-D
czstang1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 01:22 PM   #10
springs_stang
Registered Member

Thanks for all the comments. I ordered the Tri-Ax from Steeda, called around and found a garage that specializes in installing gears and has done a ton 3.73s in Stangs, so that will go in next week
Old 03-27-2002, 01:37 PM   #11
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I'd have to say Tri-Ax. I love it. My friend Budman94GT has a pro 5.0. I'm not to crazy about it. Guess my Steeda spoiled me.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote