MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-23-2002, 02:30 PM   #1
NOSstang08690
Registered Member

Default Trying to get the car to be faster on the motor!

I own a 97 Mustang GT. My cars best ET 12.42 at 108 mph.( ON NITROUS) I am looking to do something to make it faster on the motor. My boyfriend and I are very competive towards eachother whos car is faster. It has always been mine because he always had a firebird 305 with just a super charger. But he recently baught a 91 Mustang GT and he is doing alot of work to the car. We raced motor to motor( NO JUICE) and I beat him but it was alittle to close for me! I have 4:10 gears, a off road H-Pipe, MSD igniton, under drive pulleys, throttle body, WHAT TO DO NEXT??? Looked into a cam to much MONEY!! Not sure want to do something that is not just a few horsepower! Really wanted to put headers on the car! Let me know if you have any ideas.
NOSstang08690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 06:24 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Are you still running the stock intake?
If so, be ready to see it grenade.... especially with the 150 shot...

At least there's a TSB on it and Ford SHOULD replce it with no problems...

Also, be aware that my T-45 is already toast.... so I would keep an eye on it, especially if you put it through a lot of track duty with slicks... (Drag radials were the bravest I got with a stock rear, differential, and axles...)

As far as your question...
I think it would be time to go with a 99-up PI head\intake swap...

Not cheap, but a good gain in power...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 12:30 AM   #3
NOSstang08690
Registered Member

I am still running the stock intake, I have done alot of runs at the track with slicks and the car seems okay. Nothing has broken yet. Have been running it with the juice for a few years now. It runs good, inspect the plugs and change them alot. Tune it and put good gas in it. The trans seems fine I drive the car daily.
I am looking to get away from the Nitrous because I think it will evenually mess some stuff up and looking to get more power out of the motor. I really want to do 99-up PI head/ intake swap, I know its expense, Want to find out alot about it before I rush into it
Know any info to help me out??????

What is a TSB???? How would Ford replace it????????
Old 03-24-2002, 12:40 AM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

There is a known defect with the 96-97 intakes...
They are known to crack even under normal driving conditions, much less any forced induction setup...

TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin.
In this specific case, I think Ford will replace the intake when it goes with the improved part #. (But you will have to wait until it dies.... They won't change it unless it breaks...)

You are luckier than I was, mine went bye-bye the day I put on my blower... (And although the part # is the same for the 98, the TSB does not include 1998 vehicles. So I was stuck buying a new intake... )

As far as the intake\head swap, you'll want to talk to SD Wheeler... as he offers several different PI head setups...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 11:25 AM   #5
SD Wheeler
"The Game"

Wanna kick sand in your boyfriend's face? Add the Ported PI Headswap Package and proceed to slap around the pushrod boys. PM me for details.

BTW........it's fully ported and $1500. Don't tell your boyfriend!
FFW M/M #30-sponsored by Strictly Performance

Moderator, Modular Motor & Big Block Forums
Hardcore5.0
SD Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 01:25 PM   #6
NOSstang08690
Registered Member

Do you know how much it usually costs for a install of the heads???? Around how many hours?
Is there anything else I could do while they are working on the motor???? Are they hard to install??
Old 03-24-2002, 04:01 PM   #7
SD Wheeler
"The Game"

Typical installs range from $850 to $1400. Since you're in New Jersey I would check with Larocca's Performance in Jersey........or Jade Performance in New York. There may be others but I'm not that familiar with Jersey. Install usually takes two days. Not really that hard to do the install yourself. If you have a good torque wrench and a Chilton's manual you can do it.

Another thing you should do when installing the headswap kit is to add a set of headers. Shorties are really easy. You simply bolt them onto the heads and then install the whole assembly. Longtubes aren't much harder to install. Place them in the engine bay from the bottom and tie wrap them out of the way. Also, since you are running nitrous then you should go with colder plugs like AWSF 22 or 12. A "must have" item for nitrous engines is the ARP head stud kit. The stock head bolts stretch by design............not something you want to have happen when you push the button.
FFW M/M #30-sponsored by Strictly Performance

Moderator, Modular Motor & Big Block Forums
Hardcore5.0
SD Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote