MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-02-2000, 10:44 AM   #1
99GTpony
Registered Member

Post first mods?

is it worth the $109 to get the k+n filter charger for the stang.
also i want a cooler shift knob, im thinkning of a momo but they are so expensive.
99GTpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2000, 10:58 AM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I don't know exactly what style knob you're wanting, but B&M makes some cool ones that aren't too expensive. Sometimes just a real leather one looks good too. Ford has those pretty cheap - less than $30. As far as the K&N charger kit goes, there are views on both sides. The open element design allows for more airflow which is good, but you are taking in hotter air from the engine bay (if I am thinking of the right kit) which is bad. So it might be worth a few horsepower. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think you would gain much more than just installing the K&N filter and removing the air silencer and save the money towards gears or something. Just my opinion. There are kits out there that aren't much more than the K&N filtercharger kit (MAC has one) that actually place the filter in the fenderwell to draw cooler air - I think people have had better luck with those.

Hope this helps a bit.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator, Firestone Firehawk 215/60R14's

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper, Borla Side exhaust,
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico struts/ shocks, BF Goodrich Comp T/A 245/50 16's
Next up: 3:73's, high flow H-Pipe

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2000, 11:03 AM   #3
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Ditto with Stefan.

------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, 49,000 miles. $11,000. http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?388
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2000, 12:17 PM   #4
King Snake
Registered Member

I agree. I was running an open K&N under the hood until 2 days ago when I installed my MAC cold air kit. It came with a new larger filter and relocates it into the fenderwell. It cost $150. I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, so I am waiting for it to adjust, so I have yet to determine the full effects. But I did notice it made the car sound a little better (deeper) and it does seem to have a little more power. Take if from someone who has already done what you are talking about doing - DON'T run just an open element under the hood like the K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit. You will acutally lose HP. I suggest either using a K&N with removed silencer (just the rubber part, the factory air box help shield the heat) or better yet install a cold air kit. Just my 2 cents.

------------------
'97 Cobra, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, Rio Red
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2000, 08:21 PM   #5
97ScottieGT
Registered Member

Listen to the other guys who have posted before me man.
They know what they are talking about.
97ScottieGT is offline   Reply With Quote