MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-08-2003, 02:33 AM   #1
gt96
Registered Member

Default maf and detonation?

so i really want to buy c&ls 80 mm mass air but i just got told by someone that they can cause motor detonation? is this true ? the person didnt look like he knew what he was talking about so please give me some feedback
Old 07-08-2003, 06:04 AM   #2
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

I've had mine on since 98' and I have yet to experience any problems, including detonation.

You could experience detonation in any motor if the conditions are right...so I guess his rumor was partially true.

When you install the C&L, pay attention to upper RPM's. This is where the "open" meter makes a difference.

You will hear more rumors about "hot air", if you think about it...your car is moving 70-80 percent of the time.

Also, when you clean the K&N, do not over oil the filter. This does have the potential to contaminate the MAF sensor and cause idle/detonation problems. FYI

It was worth it for me.

(any gears for the 96's future?)
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC

Last edited by Red Mustang Gt 46; 07-08-2003 at 06:11 AM..
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:31 PM   #3
95mustanggt
Registered Member

As long as the MAF is calibrated for your injectors, why would you have any problems?

Sure if you were running 19# injectors with an MAF calibrated for 24# I could see you running lean. But calibrate them right and you'll have no problems.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 01:49 PM   #4
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Just dropping in a larger MAF without any other changes definitely could cause detonation. If you're going to just add more air, without pushing more fuel your looking to detonate. I went through this exact issue. I added an Anderson PowerPipe, 90 mm MAF and didn't go with the suggested 42 pound injectors, shop said they should be able to make the setup work with my existing 30 pounders. After 2 to 3 different program loads we realized we couldn't make it work without more fuel. It actually did work if I ran with race fuel and the car was the fastest it ever has been, but I can't afford $5 a gallon for fuel. So out went the 90 mm, back to stock, another program load and the car is running great. Once I can round up the $$ back go the 90 mm MAF this time WITH the 42 pound injectors.

Good luck
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
Steeda Lower Control Arms
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

New Track Times Coming Soon
SleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 03:23 PM   #5
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Getting back to the original question... It appears that gt96 is concerned about the added airflow of the C&L 80mm MAM which flows 900 CFM compared to 670 CFM stock. The C&L uses a sampling tube (19lb) calibrated to work with the meter's generous airflow volume, relying on the proper function of the factory electronics instead of modifying them. If there is any fluctuation in airflow, it will be compensated for to a certain point...usually not enough to cause detonation with the C&L's airflow. Both the stock MAM and C&L MAM are 80mm...

In other words...the 80mm MAM will be fine on a stock to lightly modded engine using stock 19lb. injectors.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC

Last edited by Red Mustang Gt 46; 07-09-2003 at 03:47 PM..
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 06:20 PM   #6
96_4.6
Registered Member

Yea I have that too and getting a 70mm TB on a stock engine on our years is supposed to decrease hp but we are gettin an extra 230cfm's so maybe i should get one now hehe I want one but i know its overkill its just 130bucks and i love installin bolt on's So or should I........

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:50 PM   #7
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SleeperGT
Just dropping in a larger MAF without any other changes definitely could cause detonation. If you're going to just add more air, without pushing more fuel your looking to detonate. I went through this exact issue. I added an Anderson PowerPipe, 90 mm MAF and didn't go with the suggested 42 pound injectors, shop said they should be able to make the setup work with my existing 30 pounders. After 2 to 3 different program loads we realized we couldn't make it work without more fuel. It actually did work if I ran with race fuel and the car was the fastest it ever has been, but I can't afford $5 a gallon for fuel. So out went the 90 mm, back to stock, another program load and the car is running great. Once I can round up the $$ back go the 90 mm MAF this time WITH the 42 pound injectors.

Good luck
The electronics should be callibrated for the additional air flow. When I bought my 75mm unit I got the calibration sheet. Just adding a 75mm MAF on a near stock car shouldn't cause any detonation, if there is, you probably have another issue. If you're talking about a heavily modified car, all bets are off, but not on a near stock car.

Old 07-10-2003, 02:52 PM   #8
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 96_4.6
Yea I have that too and getting a 70mm TB on a stock engine on our years is supposed to decrease hp but we are gettin an extra 230cfm's so maybe i should get one now hehe I want one but i know its overkill its just 130bucks and i love installin bolt on's So or should I........
It can hurt performance because you are dropping the air velocity. There is a trade off. Going over kill in one area can hurt others and cause an over all decrease in performance.

Old 07-10-2003, 03:30 PM   #9
96_4.6
Registered Member

Yea I know that I just miss installing bolt ons cause I'm pretty much done with them without spending alot of money, I have the basics minus pulleys cause I dont want them but If I do I'm buying just the crank pulley and the bolts are rust-welded my airgun couldnt get the bolts off so I would have to get it done and shops charge big time, grrrr

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*