MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-10-2003, 05:59 AM   #1
kmauldin
Registered Member

Question cleaning engine

I was wondering if anyone had any opinion or info on what might be the best way to clean a 4.6 engine? She's got 120,000 and it's obviously dirty, but while changing the oil I spilled quite a bit and the dirt is going to get worse. Hand clean with a bunch of degreaser? Is it ok to low pressure wash? Will it damage any electronics/sensors, etc.?

I know this is a far cry from the normal power adding, pavement pounding, suspension lowering, transcamaro killing threads, but I'm a simple man with simple issues.

Thanks...
'97 GT coupe; K&N, 3:73's, steeda tri-ax, Mac catted H, Mac flow-path cat-back, aluminum driveshaft, white face guages
kmauldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 07:09 AM   #2
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

I always use spray-on Gunk®, and spray off with a garden hose.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:02 AM   #3
CADreamin
Registered Member

I covered the alternator completely with aluminum foil, sprayed the engine bay with Simple Green, waited about 5 minutes, and sprayed down with a garden hose. No problems whatsoever.

Try to do this out of heat and direct sunlight so the cleaner doesn't evaporate away.

98 Mustang GT Coupe
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 03:40 PM   #4
ajcolv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CADreamin
I covered the alternator completely with aluminum foil, sprayed the engine bay with Simple Green, waited about 5 minutes, and sprayed down with a garden hose. No problems whatsoever.

Try to do this out of heat and direct sunlight so the cleaner doesn't evaporate away.
Ditto
ajcolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:03 AM   #5
kmauldin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CADreamin

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I did everything above and the engine looks much better.

One problem occurred....when the ignition is on, engine NOT running, the oil level gauge sits in the middle of the "normal" range. When the engine is running, the oil level gauge needle cranks as far right as possible, way beyond the "high" mark. I checked the level and the look of the oil in case water somehow found its way to the crankcase but it looks fine.

Did water get in some oil level sending unit somewhere? I have driven the car so most or all of the water in the engine bay should have steamed/evaporated out by now.

Suggestions? Ideas? Thanks again.
'97 GT coupe; K&N, 3:73's, steeda tri-ax, Mac catted H, Mac flow-path cat-back, aluminum driveshaft, white face guages
kmauldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:42 AM   #6
GodStang
College Stanger

We took an 89 bronco that had just got done with a Mud Run (dragracing in the Mud) and hosed it down. Then split the engine into three sections. One section had Grease lighting, one had high dollar degreser, and the last had Purple Power. We then sprayed it with our pressure washer. The Purple Power won hands down. Beat out the grease lighting and the high dollar degreaser. So I use it on my mustang and my buddies Cobra. Works great and can get like 2 or 3 gallons for $7 at Advance auto. Just My 2cents.