MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-14-2003, 05:29 PM   #1
gtjeremy
Registered Member

Default pipe diameter+cutouts

what is the standard pipe diameter for a 2000 mustang gt? Also, if I run cutouts, do I need a seperate set of pipes to run around the existing h pipe when bypassing cats. will my check engine light come on if i run cutouts. also, are jcwhitneys cutouts good or would someone suggest an alternate brand. thanx.
gtjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Have you done any mods?

IMO, using cut outs on a stock engine might not be worth anything. The stock exhaust system flows pretty well at the stock level.

with a t-body and cat-backs, I've gotten a WHOPPING 6 hp. (not that I expected a whole heck of alot anyway).

but it illustrates the point.

Now I gotta ask, whats the reason for putting the cut outs upstream of the EGOs? I dunno about the current EECs, but in times past (EEC IV). The EGOs would go open loop under full throttle, during closed loop they would fine tune the A/F mixture.

Now, if your planning on diverting the exhaust flow ahead of the sensors then it will more than likely throw a code or put it in limp home.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 10:47 PM   #3
gtjeremy
Registered Member

I could care less about an increase in horsepower, I was just exploring the possibility for a better toned exhaust. I want something so loud that dogs whimper in my path(j/k). But seriously, you're saying that my air to fuel mixture will go hectic? How could that be if I only open them up for only a short duration?
My mods are as follows: 2 cats removed, flows, K+N, March Underdrive, Ford Racing Clutch, aluminum driveshaft. Would I be better off just getting an off road and then hooking up the MIL's?? Is that something that I can do, wiring and all, with just simple hand tools and a ramp? Still, what is the diameter of the stock piping? Also, please explain the acronyms! thanx for the help.
gtjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Technick
Registered Member

Stock pipe diameter is 2-1/4" offically. But it does get down to about 2" in diameter when it goes up and over the rear end. At least it was when measured with calipers on a 01 Bullitt.
EEC (electronic engine control) the IV means 4th generation.
EGO (exhaust gas oxygen) sensor. tells the computer how much oxygen is left in the exhaust and based off of that info the computer can tell if the engine is rich or lean and shortens or lenghtens the pulse width of the fuel injector to compensate.
A good MIL kit is just a simple plug in and can be done with little problem.
The computer (ECU) (electronic control unit) (PCM) (powertrain control module) takes readings and makes adjustments several hundered times a second. Sounds like (pun intended) your going to a lot of trouble over a little (or lot) of noise.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:24 PM   #5
surfbeast
Registered Member

forget the cut outs. If you want noise get the X pipe or pro chamber. I removed my X pipe cause it was to loud with the top down. I removed all of my cats on the stock pipe and it is a happy medium.

You can do the install with hand tools and ramps. The rear connection is a breeze. The front passanger O2 sensor is a ***** to get back in and watch the gaskets to the manifolds ( use a little gasket sealer to hold them in place. If you are even mildly mechanicaly inclined you can do it in a few hours
Old 03-19-2003, 12:36 AM   #6
jmjett01
Registered Member

Default EXHAUST

GO BBK LONGTUBE HEADERS, COOKS, OR HOOKER.
ATTACH THE OFF ROAD "H" OR "X" PIPE FROM BBK.
+ FLOWTUBES AND SPINTECH MUFFLERS, OR DYNOMAX "NEW RACE MUFFLER WITH TURN DOWNS.
MAKE SURE IT'S 2 1/2 THROUGHOUT...NO MORE...

THIS WILL COST BUT IT IS WORTH THE NUMBER OF HEADS YOU WILL TURN, PLUS IT WILL SOUND LIKE A BIGGER PLACEMENT AFTER 2K RPM.

THEN WHEN YOU SLAP A PRO CHARGER OR NX KIT.....LISTEN....AND TEACH A BOWTIE HOW TO PLAY...

YOUR WELCOME......

01 GT 420+ RWHP