MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-07-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
adrnlen
Registered Member

Default Head & Cam question to incr. low-end torque......

To increase low-end torque, my tuner is suggesting stage-2 heads and mild cams for my 02 GT. It has a Paxton 1000 S/C, Longtube headers & H pipe, and Magnaflow catbacks. Just installed 3.73 rearend. The car is for weekend pleasure "cruising" only...it's never taken to a track. I love the "cammed" sound ...but will this help the low-end punch? Should I leave the PI heads and replace just the cams? Suggestions appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang after dude's (5-21-04) 002_edited.jpg (303.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-07-2004, 11:08 PM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Well, cant really speak for other companies grinds, I know the Comp Cams Mod Family pretty well though.

I'm going to be Supercharging mine hopefully here in a 2-3 months with a Paxton Novi 2000. After I recover from the cost of the suspension parts, and axle (Yeah, my rear-end up and died) rebuild.

If you put the mild Comp Cams, or cams from other manufactures with similar specs..your going to get a pretty smooth idle, like stock. Sure you'll increase your low end, but your not taking advantage of Stage Two heads with cams on the lower end of the spectrum concerning Specs.

Get you a set of Comp Cams 270, or Mod Max's 267's (If I remeber thats there duration adv.) you'll get a rumpty idle. I was surprised by how my car sounded with the 270 Cams. Its pretty rumpity...and drop the 3:73's, get 4:10s, and the stage two heads..With a blower..you'll be on your way to 600 Plus Flywheel Horse Power (Thats what I'm wanting to see when I put a blower on mine)

You'll loose some bottom end though...warn you a head of time...cant really have a cam that makes its power down low but has a beefy sounding idle. I would explain but that would be like a books worth of typing, and I'm at work now.

If all you want is more bottom end..dont do cams, keep your stock ones and just get the heads.

THough If your not going to race it at all, why bother? Doesnt make sense, thats alot of cash to only go cruising with.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote