MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-01-2003, 08:08 PM   #1
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Default Does an exhaust require welding?

I was wondering if i buy a mac offroad x-pipe,and a mac cat back exhaust will i have to weld anything or is it completely bolt on?And what will it sound like?I couldn't find any sound files for them on Mustangexhaust.com
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:29 PM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

The way I look at it is if you do not weld it you might have a leak. I did not. If you do weld it and have to take your transmission out ever than you have to unweld it. Which can damage the pipe
Old 06-01-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

On my old car the exhaust and header came with some gaskets,and qelding wasn't required,and it never leaked eather,but it was a 4 cyl. car so they might be different.Anyway thanks for the reply,i probably won't weld it eather.Do you know what kind of sound and power i can expect from the setup?
Old 06-01-2003, 09:55 PM   #4
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Alright,i've read around,and i found out that most people don't like mac products because of poor quality,so how about magnaflow?It's only slightly more expensive.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:02 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

With Magnaflow you'll have to get the catback welded. I love the sound of my Magnaflows and haven't heard about any quality problems with them or had any myself.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 12:05 PM   #6
GodStang
College Stanger

Everyone here loves MAC. MY buddy had a Bassani x-pipe on his 98 cobra and had so many problems with it. I told him that I love my MAC and so he ordered the Mac off-road and swiched it out. The bassani was $400 and the Mac was like 150 so he saved money and he loves the pipe. The MAC was easier to install then the Bassani also. I do not know much about Magnaflow but I am extremely happy with MAC. And so are my friends.

Good luck with you choice.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:28 PM   #7
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GodStang
Everyone here loves MAC. MY buddy had a Bassani x-pipe on his 98 cobra and had so many problems with it. I told him that I love my MAC and so he ordered the Mac off-road and swiched it out. The bassani was $400 and the Mac was like 150 so he saved money and he loves the pipe. The MAC was easier to install then the Bassani also. I do not know much about Magnaflow but I am extremely happy with MAC. And so are my friends.

Good luck with you choice.
You're talkin about x pipes,i'm talkin about the cat back.What will give me more power an off road x pipe or a cat back?And will the x pipe change the sound for the worse?I heard that an off road x pipe with a cat back will produce alot of resonating and i don't like that.

Quote:
Originally posted by blue00gt
With Magnaflow you'll have to get the catback welded. I love the sound of my Magnaflows and haven't heard about any quality problems with them or had any myself.
I contacted the seller on ebay,and he said it's bolt on.Why do you say i'll have to weld it?
Old 06-02-2003, 06:10 PM   #8
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

You're right, it is bolt on. I had a buddy who works at an exhaust place install mine for free, so I just dropped the car off with him and assumed he had to weld on the tailpipes.
As far as power gains you will gain more with a crossover pipe than a catback.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 06:19 PM   #9
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Ok,thanks for the reply.I'll probably get the magnaflow cat back now,and an off road h pipe later,i'm hoping that'll give me a nice deep sound.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:39 AM   #10
95mustanggt
Registered Member

On my 95 GT, I have a Super Turbo Cat back. No power increase and the sound wasn't that good at all. I was thinking about changing it.

Then I added my off road H-pipe. I noticed a decent power increase, but most of all the sound was awesome! Totally changed the sound of the car. Now I love my Super Turbos.

H/X-pipe is definately a good idea.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 06:37 PM   #11
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 95mustanggt
On my 95 GT, I have a Super Turbo Cat back...
Does the turbo in the name mean that it's bigger piping like 3" maybe?I'm not gonna go with anything above 2.5",or else i might not have enough backpressure.But i'll definitely get an off road h or x pipe later on,is that bolt on too or does it have to be welded?
Old 06-04-2003, 11:37 AM   #12
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Getting back to your original question, The combo your looking at isn't bad and is totally bolt-on. Having it welded is a preference, I've always had my sytems welded.

If you are looking for sound...the Magnaflow cat-back with an O/R X/H pipe sounds awesome.

I personally thought it wasn't loud enough so I cut the Magnaflows out and welded some stainless Mac mufflers.

Do yourself a favor and shop around for the sound you want...it will save you money (I've had three combos on my 98 so far).
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote