MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-24-2003, 02:27 PM   #1
WhizzBomb
Registered Member

Default GT or Me? (Winter/Wet driving)

Hi Folks,

So I'm in MD and with this wonderful winter we're getting a fun amount of snow. I'm finding that my 2002 GT is VERY hard to drive in the snow as well as wet weather. The back wheels slide out and the traction control engages very often under these conditions.

My question is this just how GTs are or am I just not driving right? When I say right, I mean a car with this power (previous cars are an Accord 4cyl and a Neon).

All info always appreciated =)

Happy Friday,

Joe
Old 01-24-2003, 02:44 PM   #2
jj_jonathon
Trisket

go down to home depot and buy a bunch of cynderblocks or cement bags...put about 200lbs worth in your trunk...should help some...thats what we used to do with our foxbody stang...helped alot...

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:56 AM   #3
FordFan02GT
Registered Member

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Cant help but laugh

I got a 02 Gt too, and here in SC we got a freak storm dumped about 10 inches of snow. I am having same problem, but for some reason the harder i push that pedal the more i slide Ease up a little, you will be okay. Just keep in mind, you got alot of power, so its easy to get crooked.

-----------------------------------------------
02 Torch Red GT
Brought home 1/21/03 with 4 miles
Fully loaded with leather

On the way:
1/2 intake spacer, 85 MM MAF, Alum. Underdrive pullys, Long tube headers, off-road H pipe, 70 MM T/B, 3.73 gears

Soon:
My wife is gonna kill me

One day:
A intercooled super charger of my very own
FordFan02GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 02:54 PM   #4
MC20GT
Registered Member

I invested in a set of Bridgestone snowtires last winter, as I live in CT and would never survive the winter with my 2001gt as a daily driver (took me 20 min to get out of the driveway one day with 275 nitto555's in the rear, with only like an inch or 2 of snow).

I doubt you get anywhere near the amount of snow we do...weight in the trunk is certainly the economical way to go. If you have the means i highly recomend the bridgestones, available at tirerack. I was passing suv's on the highway last night, not to mention several imports in ditches. It was quite hysterical.

Of course I could still be in 3rd gear idling at a grand, gas it and plant a beautiful snow-donut, but the option is mine as long as im careful.
MC20GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 05:41 AM   #5
95mustanggt
Registered Member

In a Mustang, you'll be fine as long as you do a couple things:

1. Add more weight over the rear tires. 200 lbs, is a good number.

2. Good Snow Tires are a MUST. Go buy your self a good set, don't be cheap! If you are trying to use summer tires, forget it! You'l NEVER get traction

3. You are going to have to change your driving style. Even with the best snow tires and weight in your truck, a quick shot on the throttle and you'll break loose. You are just going to have to be more patient.

The traction control really helps. I drove my 95 for a couple winters in northern Canada and we're driving the 2002 now, and the traction control makes a big difference.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote