MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-12-2001, 09:18 PM   #1
silverstang96
Registered Member

Unhappy Damaged heads or blown head gasket

Anti freeze spews out the top of the radiator when the car reaches operating temperature, its missing like crazy, and a white like smoke comes out one of the tail pipes while the other one emits nothing. Well it is a 96, and I did change the thermostat(unfortunately didn't solve the problem). The weird thing is that the problem came about during regular commuting, not drag racin'or things of that nature. The car is nos equiped, but I haven't sprayed the funny stuff in 8 months or driven the car hard in at least half a year prior to this present problem. Like yall advised I checked the dipstick and didn't have any residue on it other than oil. Thanks for the insight!

[This message has been edited by silverstang96 (edited 10-14-2001).]
silverstang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 09:50 PM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Unhappy

what year is it? i dont know if you have had a mechanic look at it or , not it could be a bad thermostat , also i dont know if you have done this also ,pull your oil dipstick out ,if it has a milk like look then you do have a blown head gasket or worse if not then you have a stuck thermostat & fuel/ air mixture problem. ask pkrwud i am mainly a diesel mech , hope this help's. bye -marty

------------------

[This message has been edited by crazy horse gt (edited 10-12-2001).]
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2001, 01:16 PM   #3
Ares
Registered Member

You have a bad headgasket, DO NOT DRIVE CAR. If the cylinder that has the crack in gasket fills with water you will destroy something when the cylinder hydro-locks. Remember water cant be compressed. Weakest link will break and it may be a rod, crank or cylinder wall.

White smoke = coolent leak into a cylinder
Blue smoke = oil being burnt off
Blackish smoke = rich fuel seeting or other fuel related problem.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 11:22 AM   #4
aurilius_maximus
Registered Member

Yes it does sound like a bad headgasket, but if your car is a 96-98 it might be the intake manifold. If that is the case Ford will fix it for free. Ares is right though, at any rate you definately should not be driving the car.

------------------
96 Mustang Cobra Blk\Blk, K&N, Crane 8.5mm wires, Steeda Tri Ax, BBK H-Pipe, Steeda Timing Adjuster, Underdrive Pullies, Mobil 1, 3:27's.
aurilius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 08:50 AM   #5
CobraConv99
Registered Member

Unhappy

I would bet it is a head gasket. From the way you described it. It is a common problem on the 96-98. I have had several friends with those year cobras have this problem.
CobraConv99 is offline   Reply With Quote