MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-13-2001, 09:30 PM   #1
DiscoDuck
Registered Member

Post Tirerack is confusing please help! Buying Konis.

Okay I am trying to buy Koni Sport springs from tirerack.com Well, the have two different models of the rear suspension that will fit my car. I am trying to find what the difference is. They are marketed under the same name, but one is double adjustable and the other is externally adjustable. The double adjustable is 217 and the externally adjustable is 139. I tried reading stuff on Koni's website they don't mention anything about double adjustable they only have exteranlly adjustable. I want the firmest ride possible, so which ones are firmer or are they the same and one you can just adjust more than the other?? I don't really care that much about adjustability since I am going to keep on the stiffest ride possible. So if both shocks have the same stiffness I don't really think I can justify the 217 over the 139. So what is the difference? If any of you know I would really appreciate a reply. If you want to see where they list the Koni Springsgo here, http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...autoYear=2001, and scroll down to Koni. I would appreciate if someone can help me out in deciding what to buy. Thanks, sorry for the long post.

------------------
2001 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT -Premium Trim-

K&N Air Filter
Air Silencer Removed
Sequential Tail Lights
MW Accelerator Mod
H&R Super Sport Springs

DiscoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 08:36 PM   #2
MiracleMax
Registered Member

double adjustable shocks are adjustable in both rebound and compression. the externally adjustable shocks are probable only adjustable in compression
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 10:33 AM   #3
SteveK
Registered Member

MiracleMax is correct.

Unless you know what to do with Double-Adjustables, stay away. More people mess that up than anything else.

Externally adjustment is simpler with compression and rebound at linear ratio.

FYI- Compression = when the car comes down onto the shocks and springs.
Rebound=When the car lifts from shocks and springs.

SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 06:54 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Both those shocks are very capable of overdamping the H&R springs that you have, so I would go with the cheaper externally adjustable model. Don't adjust them too stiff or you will be killing ride quality with no improvement in handling.

------------------
2000GT Atlantic Blue: Cobra R Wheels-17x9 255/40/17, 17x10.5 315/35/17, tubular K-member & control arms, Tokico 5-ways, coil overs, sway bars, strut/shock tower bars, 70mm FMS throttle body, Saleen nose.
79 Pace Car: Maximum Motorsports suspension - H&R Race springs, Bilsteins, rear control arms, chassis bracing, Draglites, 302 w/ Edelbrock Performer intake, cam and 600cfm carb, BBK equal-lengths & H-pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster 2chmbr exhaust, Al Driveshaft, 8.8 trak-loc, TCI C4 w/ 2000 stall, B&M
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote