MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-15-2001, 12:34 PM   #1
FiveOGirl
Registered Member

Post the steps I need to take before.....

Ok i have a 2001 convertible GT stock.. I want to supercharge it... what steps or things must i do first? i want somewhere between 12-18psi of boost.. I want to make sure the car can handle the power.. so what do you all think?
FiveOGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 01:09 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

12-18 psi on a stock mustang?
I hope you've got a lot of money hangin around...

Even though the 4.6 intakes are "fixed" in the 99-up Mustangs, they're still plastic...
and I guarantee they will not handle 12 to 18lbs of boost for long.
The stock bottom end\internal (pistons,rings) won't be able to handle it either. They just weren't made for that kind of punishment.

If you're going the supercharged route, be sure to get your exhaust done first (X\H-pipe, catback, possibly headers) to get the most gain from your forced induction.

I would suggest some exhaust work, gears, a good shifter, and a blower with no more than 8psi for a near stock daily driver.

The MAF may also need to be re-programmed\replaced, as well as your fuel injectors and fuel pump. This all depends upon the year of the car, the blower kit you're using, and how much you want to spend.

Any more than 8 psi, and you may be pushing it for a daily driver, and 12 psi or more should have a built bottom end in my opinion....

If you're looking for a street blower, I would highly recommend the roots type that replaces the intake. Its fairly reliable, easy to maintain, and gives GOBS of torque at 6psi.

Just my 2 cents...

------------------
Adam "Hammer" Packett:
Moderator, Gulf War Veteran
GO GET 'EM BOYS!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 01:41 PM   #3
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Question

hammer my dumb quetion for the week ,i'm old school carb points etc , eveyone is talking about removeing their air silencer i have only raised the hood on my oogt to ck the oil or tranny fluid ,why not i still have 26,00 miles on my warranty , my question is where is the air silencer located & can i get rid of it with out my dealer knowing or! is some one pulling my leg ,help please from one ex squid to another.doh!

------------------
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 03:00 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Hey Crazy,
The later Mass-Air 5.0s, not speed density (87-95?), gained a few horses from removing the air silencer. This was from the increase in air flow into the induction system.

The air silencer on a 4.6 is located in between the air box (where the air filter lives), and the passenger side fenderwell.
It is easily taken out, but I have yet to see any proof that this does a darn thing for the modular motors. Anyone can plainly see that its missing too...
You may gain more air flow, but you're sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. A plus here, a minus there.... You can try it, but I've seen no evidence that it does anything.

------------------
Adam "Hammer" Packett:
Moderator, Gulf War Veteran
GO GET 'EM BOYS!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 04:24 PM   #5
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

I completely agree w/ Hammer about the blower. That kind of boost is gonna require everything to be replaced.
Built motor w/ bolt ons, complete fuel system, stonger tranny, yadda yadda yadda.
Something w/ 6-8psi will give you 100+ hp, and will still be great for daily driving.
I again agree w/ Hammer and say check out a roots or screw style blower. You have a few choices: Saleen, Allen Engine Development, Kenne Bell, umm, I am sure there are others.
You also may want to check out stangnet.com and see whats going on w/ '01's w/ blowers. It seems that these motors are letting go w/ even less boost then the 99-00's. Possibly due to the higher CR. So 6 psi seems to be the only very safe option right now, with 8psi on the boarder of safe for daily use.

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L: Dynomax cat-back, MN-12 perf. offroad downtubes and Y-pipe w/ Magnaflow resonator, 80mm MAF with cone filter, B&M trans cooler, Inject-Tech chip, MAC U/D pulleys, KVR front brake upgrade. 15.2 @ 91 before exhaust & pulleys. Not bad for a 3800lb auto 4.6L

No Longer own: 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 09:46 AM   #6
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

thank's hammer i think i will leave it alone,i need to study up more on the 4.6, ok that was my dumb qustion for the week ,now i can tell this guy he's full of it.see ya
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 06:57 PM   #7
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

The dyno test they did in MM&FF showed a loss of a couple of horsepower by removing the intake silencer on a '00 GT
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 08:35 AM   #8
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Good point blue.

12-18 psi is a lot. Is there a particular rwhp number you're looking for?

There are tons of combos out there but ... I think we could help better if you were specific on the goals you're setting for the car.

------------------
K!
Personalized Black 98 SVO Blown DVD/TV equipped daily driver Stage II ROUSH
without the side exhaust

Dyno 303rwhp 338rwtrq
Still working out the kinks!!!

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote