MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-25-2001, 08:16 PM   #1
quackenbush
Registered Member

Post Got the look but need the sound!

Newbie to stangs here. Was a DSM turbo man. Dont hold it against me. What upgrade do I get to get a good exhaust rumble, not a real loud one though. Got a new 2001 GT and the engine makes more noise than the exhaust. I dont want to shake windows or even invest in ear plugs. I dont really care if the upgrade increases horsepower. I do alot of highway driving and the last few cars with upgraded performance exhausts at highway speeds drove me crazy with that constant droning sound. I wished I wouldnt have gotten it done on those cars. It was two eclipses I had before with that buzzing "coffee can" style muffler. I saw the light and got a stang. Any suggestions?
quackenbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 08:51 PM   #2
Green99GT
Registered Member

hey man welcome! former DSM guy here also. i know what you mean about the swarm of bees exhaust note the dsms have.... drove me nuts to. anyhoo i just put a MAC catback on my 99GT and it sounds pretty good to me not 2 loud but not stock sounding either it has a very low tone. maybe this link will help you decide on what brand you wanna go with as there are so many out there http://www.v8mustangs.com/TechExhaust.html

------------------
1999 mustang GT
2.5 MAC Cat-back
K&N filter
Green99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 07:25 AM   #3
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

May I suggest Magnaflow www.magnaflow.com
Low rumble idle, screaming WOT.
Probably the best quality and sound I've had in a while, no drone.

------------------
1998 Mustang Gt
C&L 80mm
Steeda Underdrives
Steeda Tri-Ax
Magnaflows

Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 04:17 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

If you don't want drone, just stay away from chambered mufflers and go with a straight through design. Magnaflow, Borla, Edelbrock, and Dynomax to name a few make mufflers of this kind.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 07:54 PM   #5
steven timlin
Registered Member

Cool

I JUST PUT A FLOMASTER WITH A SET OF NICE STAINLESS TIPS ON MY 96 GT AND I FIND MY SELF TURNING OFF THE MACH 460 SO I CAN LISTEN TO HOW TUFF IT SOUNDS. ITS NOT TO LUOD BUT THE TUFF SOUND THAT COMES OUT TURNS HEADS ON THE STREET. ITS LIKE SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE WOO WHATS HEADING THIS WAY. I'M NO EXPERCERT ON EXHAUST BUT I AM TOATALY HAPPY/GIDDY. IT LOOKS LIKE YOU LIVE IN WI. I HAD MINE DONE IN KENOSHA WI. AT DAVES AMERICAN MUFFLER. HE DID A CUSTOM FLOMASTER EXHAUST FOR ME. I TOLD HIM WHAT I WANTED AND HE DID IT. THE CAT BACKS THAT I SAW IN ADDS JUST WERE NOT TO THE T THAT I WANTED. IT COST $455.00 INSTALLD WHICH I FELT WAS OK FOR WHAT I WANTED. I DONT KNOW HOW FAR YOU LIVE FROM ME BUT IF YOUR IN THE AREA YOU CAN LISTEN TO MINE IF THAT HELPS YOU. I'M NEW TO MUSTANG BUT I THINK I LUCKED OUT WITH MY PICK. I HAVE PLANS FOR MY CAR BUT THERE IS WAY TOO MUCH STUFF OUT THERE TO PICK FROM. I WORK AT A FORD STORE SO I HAVE A TECH WHO HAS BUILT MUSTANGS FOR PEOPLE IN HIS OFF TIME TO GUIDE ME THRU MOST OF THIS MOD STUFF. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS AMERICA.

[This message has been edited by steven timlin (edited 10-26-2001).]
steven timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 09:14 PM   #6
300hp99GT
Registered Member

id suggest bassani x-pipe and cat back. they are expensive but unique sound and all stainless steel with big, polished tips
300hp99GT is offline   Reply With Quote