MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2002, 03:30 PM   #1
slow98
Registered Member

Question pulleys.... worth it or not?

i am lookin into purchasing some pulleys, i have heard good and bad things about all different brands, i was curious what you guys have experienced with them, most recommend the steeda pulleys, which are about 50 bucks more that the others, i hear march makes a good product,bbk i havent heard to much about, what is you guys recomendation.... also i was wondering about the alternater pulley, will this give my car any problems charging? or will i have dim lights for the rest of my days...ive also heard stories of over heating... is this a common problem and is it associated with the water pump pulley? any help would be greatly appreciated .... thanks
1998 mustang gt/manual..373s,bbk offroad h pipe,flowmaster cat back,c&l 80 mm maf,steeda triax,eibach springs,steeda ud pulleys,upr timing adjuster,screamon demos coil packs,motorsports 9mm plug wires,steea aluminum lca's,steeda heavy duty uca's and just over 100 k on the clock
slow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 03:53 PM   #2
black281
Registered Member

I have the Steeda Pullies on my car. The steeda pullies are the way to go because they also include a harmonic balancer. I installed them about 5 months ago and I can honestly say I have had no problems or side effects with them. No dimming lights or heating issues, and the charging system works fine. They did provide a noticeable gain and the car seemed to rev up much easier. I'd say you should get them.
Steeda Underdrives and T/A
Steeda Subframe Connectors
Nitto Drags 275/40
black281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 07:48 PM   #3
Ares
Registered Member

I run the BBk pulleys. I will be switching to the Steeda's since the crank pulley is one piece and is SFI approved. No problems been encountered yet.
2000 Mustang GT - 5 speed
Race weight w/o driver 3086lbs, 3250 w/ driver

Best 1/4mile run to date: 12.79@105.96, 60' 1.76sec.(10-27-02) Best MPH 106.03(10-27-02)4.10gears
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 10:31 PM   #4
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

I have had the MAC pulleys for 5 months now, and like the others, I have had no problems.

Carparts.com has the March pulleys for only $58.99. Just type in part # for 1150. You can also save another 10% by typing in coupon code "SAVE10."
For that price, I can't see how someone could pass it up. ....You know what, I think I am going to order up a set for my brother's Mustang right now, lol.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 11:34 PM   #5
slow98
Registered Member

Thumbs up thanks

hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the info, i think im gonna go ahead and order...has anyone here added the msd ignition for the 4.6 with good results?i have been seeing alot of different ignition systems in the mags claming 15 + hp, but im sure by now we all know how the claim thing goes, but if anyone has added let me know, i think i might order 3 or 4 sets of those pulleys from carparts.com .... thats insane.... thanks
1998 mustang gt/manual..373s,bbk offroad h pipe,flowmaster cat back,c&l 80 mm maf,steeda triax,eibach springs,steeda ud pulleys,upr timing adjuster,screamon demos coil packs,motorsports 9mm plug wires,steea aluminum lca's,steeda heavy duty uca's and just over 100 k on the clock
Old 01-20-2002, 01:52 AM   #6
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

The pulleys are definitely worth it.

There is NO way you're going to see a 15+ gain from ignition on a NA car. MAYBE with a blower you'd see a big gain. Your money at this point is best spent elsewhere..*cough* gears *cough*

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 08:24 PM   #7
slow98
Registered Member

Thumbs up gears

yes, ive already got 3.73 and they helped out alot , more than anything ive added yet, my current mods and the gears,C&L maf,offroad h pipe, flowmaster cat back and a steeda triax, thanks for the suggestions though, anymore advise would be appreciated
Old 01-23-2002, 11:27 AM   #8
GCMustang
Registered Member

I couldn't find those March pulleys on carpart's site. I'll keep looking.

But I think I am going with the Steeda pulleys, for two reasons. SFI approved damper - worthwhile peace of mind. And... the Steeda timing adjuster doesn't work with the March Underdrive pulleys, so if I decide to go with the TA in the future, I'll need to buy the Steeda pulleys anyway.

-SamP, BSME-

~1998 Mustang GT~ - Saleen Body Kit, Cobra R wheels (17x10.5 w/ 315/35 in rear and 17x8 w/ 245/45 out front), 3.27 gears, FMS C Springs. . . Waiting for income tax check to do 99PI headswap!
RateMyStang
GCMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 11:27 PM   #9
slow98
Registered Member

Question timing adjuster??

i know this is probably a dumb question but can you tell me why the timing adjuster wont work with the march pulleys? i am gonna go ahead and order the steedas im just curios as to why the adjuster wont work, also on more question, would a chip not serve the same purpose of the timing adjuster if it bumps up timing or is the adjuster just so you can adjust to new mods and running conditions?thanks
Old 01-28-2002, 12:36 PM   #10
GCMustang
Registered Member

Actually, I'm not sure exactly why they don't fit. That is actually just hearsay, so check with March or Steeda. But I'm pretty sure the March pulleys are stamped steel bolt ons, and since the Steeda timing adjuster bolts on to the damper, there would not be enough clearance. Double check on that, though.

Yes, though, a chip is actually a better way of adjusting timing. Setting the base timing using a Steeda T/A is a good way to pick up some hp, but especially with non - nat/asp cars, a chip is a better way to go.

-SamP, BSME-

~1998 Mustang GT~ - Saleen Body Kit, Cobra R wheels (17x10.5 w/ 315/35 in rear and 17x8 w/ 245/45 out front), 3.27 gears, FMS C Springs. . . Waiting for income tax check to do 99PI headswap!
RateMyStang
GCMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 09:19 PM   #11
slow98
Registered Member

Question belt?

for those who have the steeda pulleys.... i know some pulley kits come with the new belt if it is shorter, do the steeda pulleys come with a belt and if not do they tell you what length to purchase? and were through the power band are the gains most noticable? thanks
Old 02-03-2002, 07:28 AM   #12
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Use the stock belt, you will feel most of the SOTP in the upper RPM's...(pull). Don't waste your $$$ on an ignition, your stock EDIS coils are putting out more than enough volts.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 06:13 PM   #13
98 NosStang
Registered Member

Default steeda steeda steeda

Go with the steeda pullies, i had them on my car for like 3 months, and no problems, i also have a 650 watt sound system in the car and they gave me no problem electrical wise or over heating...you will notice the difference when you get em in....I am Selling my steeda pullies for 120.00 plus shipping.. it will come out to like 130.00.....if any of you are interested ... i had to take them off when i went with the vortech blower and removed the Nos system. Tony
PHP Code:
xasiks107x@aol.com 
1998 MUSTANG GT 4.6L /Convertible, Automatic. Flowmasters, JBA shorty headers chrome, X-Pipes custom made, 3.73 Gears FMS, 70MM fms T-BODY, VORTECH SQ-TRIM V2 supercharger (6 lbs), HKS SSQ Blow off valve, Aluminum custom made inlet pipe(gives 1lb. more of boost), 2000 Gt PI heads and cams Machine shop worked, 2000 gt intake manifold , W/BBK Filter, FMS 30 lbs fuel injectors, DIABLO sport chip, PRO-M 80mm, 6:1 FMU VORTECH, BBK Fuel Pump 255 lph, Excel 400 secondary fuel pump, 4-Point HOOKER HEADERS chrome roll bar, NEX Racing bucket seats(19 LBS PER SEAT), 5-Point harnesses, JE CERAMIC FORGED PISTONS & RINGS, MANLEY RODS, Srp pins, and The block was honed and worked in a machine shop, Mark Luton Racing Rear seat delete kit., Cobra Cowl 4" Hood, Saleen S351 wing, TYC tail lights...
98 NosStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 06:44 PM   #14
98 NosStang
Registered Member

Default steeda steeda steeda

The steeda pullies i have are off of a 1998 mustang gt...xasiks107x@aol.comxasiks107x@aol.com
1998 MUSTANG GT 4.6L /Convertible, Automatic. Flowmasters, JBA shorty headers chrome, X-Pipes custom made, 3.73 Gears FMS, 70MM fms T-BODY, VORTECH SQ-TRIM V2 supercharger (6 lbs), HKS SSQ Blow off valve, Aluminum custom made inlet pipe(gives 1lb. more of boost), 2000 Gt PI heads and cams Machine shop worked, 2000 gt intake manifold , W/BBK Filter, FMS 30 lbs fuel injectors, DIABLO sport chip, PRO-M 80mm, 6:1 FMU VORTECH, BBK Fuel Pump 255 lph, Excel 400 secondary fuel pump, 4-Point HOOKER HEADERS chrome roll bar, NEX Racing bucket seats(19 LBS PER SEAT), 5-Point harnesses, JE CERAMIC FORGED PISTONS & RINGS, MANLEY RODS, Srp pins, and The block was honed and worked in a machine shop, Mark Luton Racing Rear seat delete kit., Cobra Cowl 4" Hood, Saleen S351 wing, TYC tail lights...
98 NosStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 08:07 PM   #15
slow98
Registered Member

Question more dumb questions from me

if the pulleys use the stock belt how are the pullyes gonna be any smaller than the stock ones and still work right?is the tensioner adjustable?also i know that pulley help by free not dragging the motor down as much but if the belt is the same length how does that help any, does the water pump and alternator cause that much drag, well enough to make a differance any way

sorry if i seem like a moron, but gotta learn somehow
Old 02-06-2002, 07:09 AM   #16
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

The damper is smaller than stock + the water pump pulley is larger = stock length belt. The alternator pulley slightly larger. The tensioner is adjustable...any HP for the 96-98 mod is worth $159.00. If you have doubts, I've had mine since 98 when Steeda was putting their label on ASP products...no problems with electric or overheating...EVER. Good luck

By the way...Steeda for your application.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote