MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2002, 02:27 PM   #1
COBRAon18s

Default Hey 98snake!!!! Come In Here

Hey 98snake, i just got back from dts and the guy is trying to get me to put in 4.10's rather than 4.30's. also, he told me that i have to have a performance chip, and according to your signature, you dont have one but you do have gears. The guy told me i wont even feel the difference in gears unless i have a chip. doenst sound right. Who did your gears, and did you need to replace your bearing??? thanks
COBRAon18s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 05:02 PM   #2
98SNAKE
Registered Member

Well he does'nt know a thing about how gears work if he said that. Maybe the chip is to correct your speedo. I don't have one because mine is still run by a gear in the trans. All you need is a speedcal to change your speedometer. I did all the work on my car, and I replaced all my bearings. It's not a bad idea to change your pinion bearing when it's already apart. I would still go with 4.30's unless you go on long trips. But thats me, I know they do good work there maybe you should talk to another guy. If not try some of the other places I mentioned. Good luck.

Will
DTS diff cover
Eaton posi
Moser 31 spline axles
Spec Stage 2 clutch
B&M Ripper shifter
BBK off-road x-pipe
Steeda pullies
Steeda timing adj@14deg
MAC cold air

Best Time
12.9 @107.5 on street tires

New Car 03 Cobra
Not Stock
98SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 05:20 PM   #3
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I thought the 99+ cars use sensors rather than gears for the speed caribration (?). If I remember right you don't have to get a chip, you can just get a speed calibrator (?). I wish I could remember more. When I was in getting my 3.73's there was a guy in a 2000 GT getting 4.10's and since I was bored waiting for my car to get worked on I listened in. There should be a couple more guys on this board who know exactly.

I agree with 98SNAKE too, saying there is no difference between 4.10's and 4.30's is like saying there is no difference between 3.27's and 3.08's or 3.55's and 3.73's. Sure you may not feel a BIG difference, but there still is a difference!

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 02:46 PM   #4
COBRAon18s

thanks for the quick reply, are you sure that if i go with 4.30's, i will be ok even though i dont have drag radials, also, will it be managable in the winter, i know it already sucks, but its managable, and finally the last question i will ever ask about gears, what did you (98 snake) mean when you said i need to stregthen my irs, whats gonna happen if i dont, and what do you reccomend doing to it. thanks
Old 05-15-2002, 05:03 PM   #5
98SNAKE
Registered Member

I have just heard of people with IRS snapping half-shafts, but they where also using slicks. So as long as you don't bolt up a set of slicks and launch at 7 grand you should be ok. I'am not extremly familiar with the IRS setup, but I know there are a few mods you can do to help eliminate wheel hop. As of right now I don't have drag radials. It sucks sometimes but my car is alot faster now with 4.30's and no drag radials and 3.73's with them. In the winter start in 2nd and put some weight in the trunk, thats the best advice I have. Hope I helped .

Will
DTS diff cover
Eaton posi
Moser 31 spline axles
Spec Stage 2 clutch
B&M Ripper shifter
BBK off-road x-pipe
Steeda pullies
Steeda timing adj@14deg
MAC cold air

Best Time
12.9 @107.5 on street tires

New Car 03 Cobra
Not Stock
98SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 05:28 PM   #6
COBRAon18s

thanks a lot, i really appreciate all the help.