MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-14-2002, 04:41 PM   #1
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Cool '98 GT vert Lowered pics (before & after)

I finally dropped my '98 GT vert over Thanksgiving weekend.

I put in H&R Supersports, Bilstein Struts & Shocks, Urethane spring isolators, Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber plates, and a new pinion snubber.

The final drop was 1-3/4" in the front and 1" in the back. It took two weeks of settling to get here and I think it is still settling a bit. I feel the urethane isolators have something to do with the slow settling.

Sorry about the pictures not being the best. I bought a new digital camera with a considerable learning curve (Minolta DiMage 7i). I'm still learning how to take pictures with it. I had to increase the brightness of the pictures through Photoshop so that you could make out the tires in the dark wheelwells, that's why the aluminum wheels are "washed out".

Before and After Pic...

Close up pic...

Notice the new spring has at least four dead coils...

Close up wheelwell pic...

A picture of a stock rear spring with rubber isolator next to new rear spring with urethane isolator.

Springs and Pinion snubber pic...

Old pinion snubber removed and new snubber attached to mount...

Last edited by GaryDawg; 12-14-2002 at 04:46 PM..
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 09:32 PM   #2
mustanggt_50
Registered Member

nice ride!!! looks awesome lowered

if u dont mind me asking, what did it cost u to lower it?? i want to do the same with mine so im curious as to the cost..
87 GT T-roof (needs paint) lol, rebuilt motor and trans, AOD - stage 2 shift kit, 3.73 gears - auburn posi, Dynomax Super Turbo Cat Back, FRPP 155lph fuel pump, K&N filter - air silencer removed, subframe connectors, strut tower brace.

88 GT T-roof

1989 LX Coupe 5.0 - 5spd

Rice Haters Club member#105
mustanggt_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 09:41 PM   #3
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

nice, very nice, if i wasnt in to making power right now, that would be my next project. sweet.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 10:56 AM   #4
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt_50
nice ride!!! looks awesome lowered

if u dont mind me asking, what did it cost u to lower it?? i want to do the same with mine so im curious as to the cost..
The Springs, Struts, Shocks, Isolators and C/C plates came out to just over $900...

I'm working on my appearence mods first until the car is paid off. Next will be Styling Bar, then new stereo, then new exhaust... then once it's paid off, I'll go for the new heads or supercharger...
And eventually a saleen body kit.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:57 AM   #5
Titan
Registered Member

Ouch, looks nice, but w/ four dead coils, wouldn't that amount to a bumpy ride. Mine's lowered 1 3/4" and it's aggravating as hell on crappy roads.

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 01:12 PM   #6
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan
Ouch, looks nice, but w/ four dead coils, wouldn't that amount to a bumpy ride. Mine's lowered 1 3/4" and it's aggravating as hell on crappy roads.
Only when I drive slow.... which isn't very often...
Old 12-17-2002, 04:19 PM   #7
EC98GTcnvrtble
Registered Member

Looks nice!!, I've got the same exact car, except in the darker red and w/ a black top, I like how it looks lowered, I'm probably going to get the Eibach Pro kit, but I also want to do some sub frame connectors, not sure which ones I'll go with, maybe MM's Steeda's, trying to keep the costs down.
98 GT convrtble, March Underdrive pulleys, K&N filter, homemade ram air, Steeda Tri-ax shifter and Strut Tower Brace, billett MOMO shift knob, billett a/c knobs, billett emergency brake handle, UPr's cable adjuster and triple pick-up quadrant, smoked headlight covers.
EC98GTcnvrtble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 02:50 AM   #8
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

I lowered my '97 conv. a year ago using the Intrax 2" progressive springs. I think it looks great but the ride is terrible. I wanted to know how your setup rides compared to stock. I guess my real problem is the rear, thats what is the most aggravating, because it bounces back after a bump. I'm considering going with a full Saleen or Steeda suspension set up, but i really do like the full 2" drop. Wish i had a good picture to show you, but my scanner took a dump.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:00 PM   #9
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by afeezor97
I wanted to know how your setup rides compared to stock.
It's not as good as stock but it is bearable... When I drive slow the car is bouncy... The slower I go the worse it is... Driving through my parking garage at work it's really bad (going 10 mph)... But, when I get out on the road and am doing more than 30 mph, the ride is very good! The faster I go, the smoother it gets... The car really holds the road now...
Old 12-27-2002, 06:34 PM   #10
Janeofalltrades

Default Lowering Vs. Reengineering

It's the nature of the way it is put together and designed. When you start making changes to the original engineering of the car, there are so many items that need to be taken into account to obtain an overall positive modification.

I personally believe that the more expensive, yet well engineered performance lines really make the difference. In this I mean lines like Eibach and Kenny Brown. Both of these organizations have taken the time to engineer and track test real applications of their products. So I feel that if your are going to lower the vehicle and if it will continue to be a daily driver an Eibach Pro Kit with Adjustable Damper, Pro-Control Bar and Anti-Roll kit..or a Kenny Brown Level 3, 4 or 5 would be about a perfect blend of form and function...All these would run below $3,000 without labor....That's the part that gets me...LOL

A bump steer kit and upgraded Upper and Lower Control arms are usually a big improvement....If you have a 99+ GT chassis, well then just find a friend with a spare IRS from a 99 SVT Cobra and you'll have it made.......

To retain original ride quality, you pretty much have to re-engineer th vehicle's suspension as you reduce it's center of gravity....Kinda' a bummer....But hey..It's all fun... I'm a mom and have to take things like ride quality, sound and safety into consideration. Like loud exhaust systems....LOL..The kids really don't like all the noise, usually..Especially the little, little ones...Makes them cry harder..Not good......

~Jenn~