MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2002, 02:01 PM   #1
Brian Goodrich
Registered Member

Arrow key wont turn please help

I have a 1996 mustang gt convertible

i havent turned the car on in about four months since ive been away at school - i came home for christmas and went to put the key in the ignition but it is stuck and wont turn at all.

all the interior/exterior lights go on - so the battery isnt the problem i dont think. the factory alarm churps and the remote for the doors and trunk works as well.

i hear a clicking sound coming from the left side of the trunk, i dont know what that is. also, a weird computer-like sound came out from underneath the steering column when i put the key in one time. the clicking/computer sound doesnt happen every time i put the key in.

ive read something about fuel-shutoff in the trunk-- could it be that? please help i have no clue. its christmas and all i want to do is rev my pony up!
Brian Goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 04:42 PM   #2
bstang46
Registered Member

I am not really sure about the 96's. But, it sounds like the microchip in your key is faulty. Might want to get that checked out. I also think that the clicking sound you are talking about is your fuel pump.

I hope I might have helped.

Brandon
Old 12-22-2002, 04:47 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Will the key physically turn?
Or is the car just not turning over....

Sounds like you have a problem with something in your PATS system (Passive Anti Theft). It may not be recognizing your key.

If the other one doesn't work, it could be the sensor in your steering column....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 04:52 PM   #4
Brian Goodrich
Registered Member

Default thanks

thanks for your advice it turned out that i just had to jiggle the steering column a bit and that did the trick. thanks to everyone who wrote back. merry christmas
Brian Goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 05:13 PM   #5
Janeofalltrades

Default Inertia switch/CCRM

Hello,

If your key is the correct key and you have determined it is not the anti-theft system, or a faulty ignition, then it may be that, during your adsence, the inertia/fuel pump switch (located in the trunk) may have been tripped. It is usually covered by carpeting but is mounted up on the inside luggage wall (my 1996 V-6 is on the left side, upper luggage wall). If the switch is activated, it will be popped out, if it has popped, push the reset button on the top of the switch.

The click from the front you are hearing may be the CCRM. This happy little thing includes your fuel pump relay, your PCM power relay as well as other fun stuff. The fuel pump will operate as long as it is receiving igntition pulses from the EIS.

"....... the clicking/computer sound doesnt happen every time i put the key in....."

If there are no, or faulty reference pulses, then the fuel pump will shut off after one to two seconds. This could be why you heared the noise and then didn't hear it again.

Hope it's your key or the inertia switch, Boss. Good luck. Electronic cars are soooooooo fun!

~Jenn~
Old 12-22-2002, 05:14 PM   #6
Janeofalltrades

Default OOOO Dude....

....After all that... Just kidding....Glad it was a user-interface issue..LOL....

Good thing..Merry Christmas!

~Jenn~
Old 12-22-2002, 07:41 PM   #7
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
The click from the front you are hearing may be the CCRM. This happy little thing includes your fuel pump relay, your PCM power relay as well as other fun stuff.
Yea, It pretty much includes a little bit of everything... including the radiator fan....and its not exactly the easiest part to get to either...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 07:37 PM   #8
Janeofalltrades

Default Hammer - Heater Core

Hammer,

It's about as entertaining as a heater core removal/install....

~Jenn~
Old 12-23-2002, 07:51 PM   #9
stangt00
Registered Member

I really hate it when the damn O.F.F. wolnt engange the O.N. flux capacitator. That really burns my A.S.S. system ya know
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.
stangt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 09:46 PM   #10
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

Until I finished reading the whole thread, I thought that someone had placed a pack of C4 in your car while you were gone. Well, I'm glade it was just your locking steering wheel.

Custom Electronic Exhaust cut outs
Tuning via Diablo Predator
Ported and polished Throttle body and plenum
Line locker (for the smoke shows)
Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
mlambrecht82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:44 PM   #11
paver one
Registered Member

Lesson learned: jiggle first,ask questions later..........
1999 F-350 CC Dually PStroke,1996 SALEEN s281SC vert #380 & 2004 F-150 FX4 Crew Cab
paver one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 06:58 PM   #12
Janeofalltrades

Default :)

paver one...wrote "Lesson learned: jiggle first,ask questions later..........

Ahhhh..Thank you...ROFLMAO..Also, for me lesson learned was make sure you don't type too much and do laundry and dishes while posting...Response Lag.... LOL....

mlambrecht82,

I hate it when people put C-4 in my trunk while I'm away for 4 months...Trips that damn fuel pump switch...Annoying. Not to mention the havoc it causes with the whole car....

stangt00...Are you being funny?.....LOL..Hmmmmmmmmm... the off, and the on, with the flux capacitor...All righty then... j/k

It's all good.... Merry Christmas, Funny Guys...
~Jenn~
Old 12-24-2002, 11:50 PM   #13
stangt00
Registered Member

Yes it was an attempt at being funny. For real life, I am an aircraft mechinic in the military. An old joke when a pilot comes back with a discrepancy is "Was the switch in the O.F.F. position?". Then we would sign off the discrepancy "Placed switch in O.N. position, Checks good" Anyways, Merry Christmas all!
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.
stangt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 12:55 AM   #14
Janeofalltrades

Default Copy that!

"Placed switch in O.N. position, Checks good"

Copy that..Merry Christmas!

~Jenn~