MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2003, 05:57 PM   #1
buster
Registered Member

Question i want a mustang but............

ok i really wanted a mustang cause i thought they were one of the fastest cars around.
i went a test drove a 2002 gt 4.6 and was impressed and then i went to friends house a week later. i drove his stock 2001 trans am and couldnt beleive it. the TA had so much more power than the mustang that at first i didnt believe it was stock.
so then i went a test drove a trans am and found it was true. they are ALOT faster...............my question is, why do so many people run out and buy mustangs when they cant hold a candle?
buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:01 PM   #2
quackman
Registered Member

from what I've read from car and driver, and on the internet, people buy mustangs over camaros and trans ams because they give a softer ride, and are easier to drive, while still being fast.
quackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:12 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

If all you're looking for is horsepower out of the box, be my guest and buy an F-Body...

Don't worry that the F-Body lost to the Mustang overall in Car and Driver
Don't worry when you start having rear-end problems
Don't worry when you're on your 3rd engine after heavy mods... (got a buddy who is on his 4th block)
Don't worry when you can't hear your exhaust over the rattles in the passenger compartment
Don't worry that the Mustang has a larger aftermarket.

Remember, there is a reason they no longer make the F-Body.
It didn't sell...

I'm over 60,000 miles on a stock block with 450hp at the crank.

Think about it....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:18 PM   #4
quackman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

Remember, there is a reason they no longer make the F-Body.
It didn't sell...
haha, it's funny cause it's true.
quackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 08:05 PM   #5
surfbeast
Registered Member

I was a die hard Z28 man and still am in some ways. Hammer has it right. Look at the costs of the F-bodies and look at what you can do with the same cash to a same year stang. Look at the cost of aftermarket products for the F-Bodies. With only 30 thousand f-bodies a year produced not many companies want to invest in parts for a small market. The mustangs ride better, last longer and are better put together. Faster out of the box is relitive, for instance: 02 Z base model I looked at new was 30K with 300Hp or so, 02 GT loaded was around 27K with 260 hp or so. With the extra 3K I could slap a supercharger on and have over 350 hp easy. You get the point? the F-bodies came with more hp but at a much higher price and less quality. Part of the alure of having a sports car is doing the Mods to it. How many F-bodies do you see with body kits, exhaust mods etc..? If you do they have MAJOR money invested.

Just my 2 cents

Former: 69 Z, 71Z, (3) 78Z's, 80Z, 91Z owner ( all rattle traps)
Old 01-18-2003, 07:48 PM   #6
CADreamin
Registered Member

Ease of maintenance is also an issue. I don't profess to have worked on my own car nearly as much as a lot of guys and girls here, but I do like to get out on a nice day and tinker...

I was a die-hard GM guy, but I fell in love with my 91 LX. After that was stolen, I test drove some Z-28s and Corvettes. They're great cars, don't get me wrong. But the Vettes were pricey and, as a 2-seater, a little impractical for my only car. The Camaros were again very nice but priced at least $2000 more on the used lots...and half the engine is under the windshield. I'd imagine this creates a great deal of hassle for the experienced car guy or girl, let alone a Saturday afternoon hobbyist like myself.

98 Mustang GT Coupe
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 01:45 PM   #7
SleeperGT
Registered Member

My loaded '00 GT has a sticker of $23,000. To buy the equivalent Z28 was a minimum of $3500 more. I too love the F-Body motor, but all the things Hammer listed are the exact reasons why I didn't buy one. I have sunk about $5500 into my car and I will roast anything short of a Corvette Z06, and I think it could give one of those a good run for it's money. Also, the resale seems to be much better on Mustangs than Z28's (at least in Jacksonville, FL). A buddy of mine just went through an exhaustive search for a new toy and ended up buying a '96 Z28 because all the mustangs were at least $1000 to $2000 more.
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
Steeda Lower Control Arms
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

New Track Times Coming Soon
SleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 03:03 PM   #8
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Well as you can see here there are a lot of reasons.

I think you guys hit it all on the head.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 10:29 PM   #9
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Default Re: i want a mustang but............

Quote:
Originally posted by buster
my question is, why do so many people run out and buy mustangs when they cant hold a candle?
Because there is nothing like being the underdog and seeing that expression on an LS1 owners face when they get stomped by a GT with bolt-ons. Of course I'm not exactly your average bolt on car.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:04 PM   #10
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

because nothingbeats the orignal pony car thats why people buy them all hail the mustang
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 12:40 AM   #11
The Deuce
Registered Member

Maybe its because they don't need a candle.
Maybe its because there is a 2003 Mustang.
Maybe its because chicks dig mustangs.

One thing I've noticed being a Ford guy is this. Most Mustang owners at the track wrench on their cars. Headswaps, intakes exhaust, no problem.

Most LS1 guys have "a lid". That's it.

I don't know if its because they can't work on their cars, but most of them don't. If you like wrenching on a car, buy a Mustang. If you want to be quick and lazy, get a Camaro.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:00 PM   #12
VicRattlehead
Registered Member

they also have 69 more cubic inches under the hood.