MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-31-2000, 08:22 AM   #1
RickC
Registered Member

Unhappy Bearings failed in 99 GT

I saw it mentioned here a couple of times and it fianlly happened to me. In my '99 GT with less than 16000 miles all the rear wheel and axle bearings had to be replaced recently.

The dealer suggested hard usage but with the original tires evenly worn and no clutch problems, I told him what he could do with his opinion. I suggested defect and he said he knew of no problem with the bearings from the factory.

It was covered under warranty and would have cost almost $500 had it not been.

------------------
Rick

'99 GT with K&N filter
(Don't know what else I want to do with it - yet.)
RickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2000, 11:26 AM   #2
King Snake
Registered Member

The axle bearings on my '97 Cobra are also in need of attention. They make grinding noises. I was going to change them myself (easy job) but I decided to let my local shop do it when they change out the rear gears. I have heard of a lot of people having the same problem. Did yours start making noises? and did you have to get new axles as well?
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2000, 12:03 PM   #3
97snakedriver
Registered Member

When I did my gears, my bearings were also worn. Not badly, but only after 10,000 miles. The total bill wasn't much more then $500 and that included the gears, the install, the bearing, the install, subframes, and the install, so $500 for just the bearing sounds a bit steep, but at least you didn't have to pay for it.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2000, 07:08 AM   #4
RickC
Registered Member

I bought the car with 13000 miles on it in April and am not sure if the noise was there or not at that time. However, since then I was in an accident and ended up getting new tires as a result.

The car was in the body shop for almost three weeks, I had it for 3 days then went on vacation for a week (without the car) and then traveled for work for a week (also without the car). After getting back and beginning to enjoy the car again that's when the noise began to stand out. At first I thought the tires were responsible then I read about bearing problems on here so I took it to the shop and the rest is history.

According to the warranty invoice the final price was $471 and change. This was for wheel and axle carrier bearings and races. No new axles were installed as far as a I know. The rear end sure is quite now but I'm afraid to consider a gear change now.

------------------
Rick

'99 GT with K&N filter
(Don't know what else I want to do with it - yet.)
RickC is offline   Reply With Quote