MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-19-2003, 10:07 PM   #1
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Default What are my options?

I have a magnaflow cat back,and i bought an off road x-pipe a while after that.Now i wanna put some long tube headers on the car,but the off road x-pipe is too long for it.So what now?Buy a short x-pipe and sell the old one?Cut the old one to make it fit?What else?Also will i be able to swap the headers myslef?I don't have a big lift or nothing,just jackstands and the works.Would a shop overcharge me for that?
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 06:02 AM   #2
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

Installing LT headers without a lift will be a HUGE pain!!! A shop will probably charge you over $700. If you can get the car over 3 feet off the ground it might not be that bad, if you like laying on the floor for 8 hours. You will have to lift the engine up a couple inches which won't be hard with a jack, and you will have to remove the steering shaft and the starter. A word of advice, install the starter back in before you tighten the header, there are three bolts on the starter and the top one is very hard to get too. You should also leave some studs in the head from the stock header, but be careful wich studs you leave in, because some will hit the tubes out of the header, all the top ones can be left, you could just use teh studs to line up the holes and then remove them after you install the bolts one-by-one. But using the studs to line up the gasket and header flange will help big time. I would set aside two full days for this install just to be safe and get it done right. You could cut the long H pipe and use it on the long tube headers. it might not line up perfect, but with a sawsall and a welder you could get it to fit good. A off-road h-pipe isn't much for LT headers, it comes down to how much you want to spend. If you are talented with a welder and can make a free flowing custom exhaust, then go for it, if not, I would go for the new H pipe. Just expect a big job and you will do fine, personally I didn't think that it was that hard ( I had a lift) just time consuming.
You will also need extensions for the front O2 sensors.

Custom Electronic Exhaust cut outs
Tuning via Diablo Predator
Ported and polished Throttle body and plenum
Line locker (for the smoke shows)
Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
mlambrecht82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 03:25 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I did the install with only jackstands and hand tools. I've actually done 2 sets now; the first time it took me over 10 hours and the second time it took me five. It helps to have a buddy to assist you and watch as you jack up the motor to make sure you aren't hitting anything. Also, a combination of extensions and swivels helps with the starter bolts. Some of the bolts on the passenger side are very tough to get started, but it all works out if you are patient and like mlambrecht82 said, give yourself 2 days to finish the job to be on the safe side.
As for the crossover pipe, if it's an offroad one it would be best to just buy a matching one rather than having a shop modify yours. Even the matching ones by the same manufacturer sometimes don't fit all that well, so I wouldn't chance having someone mod it.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 03:52 PM   #4
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Thatnks a bunch guys.So it is possible to do it yourself.I always have at least 1 friend helping me with my installs,not because it's hard,but just because it's more fun with more people.Even if it's just a short shifter or something. Anyway,i'll keep in mind to get some extensions and swivels as they are always usefull.Yeah i always do my stuff on the weekend because i don't have time on work days,so yeah 2 days shouldn't be a problem.

Also mlambrecht82 you said you had a lift.Where did you get one?Did you do it in someones shop or something?
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:00 PM   #5
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

I'm a the son of a famer who likes having every gadget you can have, we have a 60' x 100' shop in my backyard with practically every tool you could imagine. I'm going to school up in Wyoming now, so I'm 1200 miles away from all that, it sure makes you apreciate what you have back home, especially when all you have with you is handtools and a couple power tools.
If you know someone tht owns a shop with a lift you might be able to charm them into leting you use it on the weekend, but most mechanics don't like people working with their tools, my dad always looses mine, it drives me crazy.

Custom Electronic Exhaust cut outs
Tuning via Diablo Predator
Ported and polished Throttle body and plenum
Line locker (for the smoke shows)
Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
mlambrecht82 is offline   Reply With Quote