MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-11-2001, 10:04 AM   #1
PrplMonster
Registered Member

Angry Major vibration, any help..?

OK heres the deal.. I bought another fox, LX.. put my motor and trans in it.. and now it has a MARJOR vibration.. The vibration is so bad that oil spews from the rear main seal at high RPM's.. The main shaft in the trans is ok.. no major wear signs.. but the nose cone(throwout bearing support) is scored HEAVILY on the very end. It almost looks like the fingers on the clutch contacted it.. What would cause the nose cone to wear on the end only..? You can see where the throwout bearing rests, when the clutch is engaged, but there is no wear there.. any help is appreciated guys.. oh yeah.. it's a tremec 3550 and a zoom clutch..
PrplMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 03:11 PM   #2
Capri306

Maybe you forgot one of the clutch cover bolts? Other than that, I think only a bent crank would cause THAT bad of a vibration! Eh, mebbe a harmonic balancer, but I doubt it. How's the pilot bearing? Check firing order as well. Good luck.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 03:57 PM   #3
PrplMonster
Registered Member

Cool

Well i just put a fresh 347 CHP stroker in it.. all the pressure plate bolts are there and torqued evenly.. this is very strange.. I had a mild 302 in it before and the vibration was there but not as bad, i pt the stroker in it, an of course it got worse.. It has a new ford SFI balancer and according to them, they balanced the crank to it.. they had me send it to them. One thing i forgot is, with the clutch engaged in neutral, there was this loud clatter, like a bearing was out on the input/main/counterhsaft. When you push in the clutch it went away.. any help..? >
PrplMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 09:28 PM   #4
vande97
Registered Member

I am kind of going threw the same problems as you are i just put the king cobra clutch in and new gears in the rear and i had a bad slip yolk on the drive shaft that had a worn part but any way i got a bad vibration at about 75 anything less smooth as silk. but i took the drive shaft in and they found a dent in it witch under pressure gave a little when i put the pedal to the metal and twisted the drive shafe just a cun# hair but it threw it out of balance. I have the FMS aluminum drive shaft on the way so i think this will fix it hope fully. maby take a look at yours. also have you considerd that you r flywheel could be warped as far as the sound you are getting when you are in netural?
hope this helps a little good luck
vande97 is offline   Reply With Quote