MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-20-2000, 07:23 PM   #1
cobrayankee
Registered Member

Question Timing adjustment? Say what?

Now here's a category I know very little about. I've read all about some of you guys doing timing adjustments, and had it recommended, but I don't know a thing about it, or if it would apply to me. If anyone can help, please do. And trust me, I don't mind you talking to me like I was 5 because if it helps me understand, then I achieved my goal. My car and mods are listed. Any tech advice and info will help! Thanks!

------------------
1997 Cobra, C+L 80mm MAF, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, 3.73's
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2000, 08:02 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Timing refers to the ignition timing. That is when the spark comes realative to where the piston is. Its measured in degrees of crank shaft rotation.

On the 5.0s you adjust the timing by rotating the distributor cap. The 4.6s don't have distributers. The timing is controlled entirely by the computer. The computer determines the location of the crank shaft via a position sensor.

The timing adjusters allows you to rotate the crank position sensor around the crank, so you can advance or retard the ignition timing.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2000, 08:28 PM   #3
cobrayankee
Registered Member

Thanks. So for my car, I'd need the computer reprogrammed? Have you done it? Would you even recommend it?

------------------
1997 Cobra, C+L 80mm MAF, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, 3.73's
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2000, 08:56 PM   #4
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

Steeda makes a timing adjuster for the 4.6's, but from what I've heard, unless you have a supercharger and need to retard timing a bit or tons of engine mods, the 4.6 doesn't benefit from this mod as much as the 5.0's do. I think the difference for the 4.6's comes in the different computer and emissions equipment.The piece runs around $179 or so, so mod money might be better spent on something else. It might be different for the DOHC, though. I'm sure someone will chime in and yay or nay what i've said but I thought I'd butt in anyway.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico non-adjustable struts/ shocks (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2000, 09:51 PM   #5
97GTSTANG
Registered Member

I have a 97GT and i was thinking about getting the steeda timing adjuster also, i have checked wtih others and they said it adds 10rwhp, and if thats the case i guess its well worth it for the price. just my $.02

------------------
97GTSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2000, 01:01 PM   #6
2cammer97
Registered Member

I think the steeda timing adjuster is great. I noticed a huge difference as soon as i bolted it on. i have mine set at 16 degrees. soon after the timing adjuster i put on the msd dis-4. it is awesome. it looks great and my stang pulls much better at the top end through 3rd and 4th gear. so far i've run 9.2's in the eigth at 78 w/ poor 2.3 60 foots. hope to see ya'll at buick vs. ford shootout this weekend at ennis,tx.

------------------
97 Mustang GT Rio Red w/ tan leather
Nitto NT555extreme 255/45ZR17 on all fours
Steeda sport springs
Steeda caster/camber plates
Offset steering rack bushings
Tokico struts/shocks
Steeda Triax shifter
FMS heavy duty clutch w/ aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster
FMS 3.73 Gears
FMS 70 mm Throttle body
Pro-M 87 mm mass air
K&N filter w/ removed silencer
FMS underdrive pullies
Steeda timing adjuster
MSD DIS-4 ignition
Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Walbro 190 lph fuel pump
FMS shorty headers
Bassani x-pipe w/ cats
Mac cat-back exhaust
Mac white face gauges w/ autometer shiftlight
2cammer97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2000, 10:02 AM   #7
96cobra89Lx306

I had the adjuster but sold it after a month or so. It gave me more power down low but lost it up top, where the Cobra really shines. It's not worth it compared to the other mods. I don't trust my particular combo because my computer leans out the fuel mixture up top and with the increased timing, that's a nono.

------------------
(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,pulleys,Bassani X pipe,C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower w/out steeda timing adjuster
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)

[This message has been edited by 96cobra89Lx306 (edited 08-26-2000).]