MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-18-2002, 02:23 PM   #1
89droptop
Registered Member

Default cutting the springs

I have an 89 lx convertible. I'm considering cuttings the stock springs until I can afford to buy new springs. I want to drop it about 3" in the front and back. I have 3 1/2" draglites on the front and 8" draglites on the back. Could you guys give me some insights on this job. I have all the tools and jacks, I just need to know how to measure the coil, so I know how much to cut off. Thanks for your help.
89droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 07:29 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

First of all please don't cut the springs!!!!!

Just wait until you can afford the real ones....

I personally would NOT drop it lower then 2 inches all the way around. I have dropped both my ponys in the past (one at 1 1/2" and my current one at 2"). The 2" drop gave me an awesome stance. I had to roll my fender well lips up inside cuz my tires would rub it when I would hit a bump. If you drop it lower, you'll run into more problems.

Aslo, it's a good idea to get a set of caster/camber plates. I figure if you can't buy the real springs now, you won't be able to afford new tires every month or so. They help you align your front end correctly so you don't chew up your tires.

I have a set of Eibach sport 2" lowering springs for sale. If you are interested just give me an IM
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 09:36 AM   #3
Sonics2042
Registered Member

I whole-heartedly concur. 3" is way too much. I think 1.5-1.75 inch drop looks best on the fox body. Cutting the spings is almost a sin! I can only imagine what it would ride like if you cut them enough to drop the car 3".

I would buy cyberstangs springs . Eibach's are pretty good. Paying the extra $$ is worth it.

Thanks,
DoranW
[MAC Cold Air Intake]-[BBK Equal Shorties]
[3.55 Gears]-[Cobra Intake Manifold (Upper and Lower]
[E-303 Cam]-[Granetelli Mass Air Flow Sensor]
[Front and rear sway bars]-[New black carpet and seats.]
[Adjustable Fuel Regulator]-[T5 Conversion w/ K. Cobra Clutch/Hurst STS]
[Cobra Throttle Body]-[130A Alt. Conversion]

Thinking about:
Aftermarket Heads!
Vortech A-Trim
Sonics2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 05:16 PM   #4
89droptop
Registered Member

Default springs

I'm think I'm gonna listen to your advise and go with the lowering springs. I really want to do it right. Cyberstang, e-mail me a price for those springs your trying to sell. Thanks

my e-mail is defjamz6@mindspring.com
89droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 05:59 PM   #5
Big Bopper
Registered Member

Default Lowering Drop-top!

Hey guys...I was told this once, on this site acually....When you are ordering drop springs you'll notice it gives a different part# than the hard top. The reason being I believe is that the spring rate is different because of the extra weight you're carring. I figured this out the hard way,I took the drop kit out of my LX and stuffed them in my Rag the rear fenderwells were on the tires! I've taken them out of the back but Still have them in the front I have'nt driven the car yet ,... but I'm pretty sure it's going to handle dangeroulsy....I will order new ones when $$$ is'nt so tight. Your call though. Good luck.

Big Bopper.
Old 04-20-2002, 01:38 AM   #6
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Good call...

Definitely get springs with the drop you want. 3" is crazy talk. That how much most trucks lower in the front. Eibachs are the way to go. You will thank yourself later. Leave that spring cutting to the ricers.