MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-29-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
Redstang96
Registered Member

Default Slicks?

Hey guys,
I have some questions?First off,a brand new drag strip just opened nearby and ill be racing for the first time(on the track anyway).its only 1/8th mile but i heard rumors of it being a 1/4 if the farmer next door sells some land.Anyway,instead of destroying my new new tires id like to run slicks at the track.My question is any clearance problems.I have a 96 Gt with a stock suspension,can i put a 28x10.5x15 tire on my car without problems?Also,any tips for racing would help.Right now my car is mostly stock. My mods are a flowmaster cat-back,a Mac 2 1/2" offroad h-pipe,a homemade cold air kit with a K&N (low on funds),
slotted rotors and hawk pads all the way around, and a superchips power programer with a 93 octane tune. I dont know if knowing these mini mods will make a difference but any tips will help!sorry such a long post ,any help is appreciated!
Redstang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:32 PM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

YOur street tires should hold up fine. YOu wont hurt them running at the track..unless you do Johnny Force, Funny car burnouts. I'd avoid doing those. Serouisly though..you wont put any more wear on your tires than on the street.

If you have your heart set on drag slicks, I'd forgo the 28in tall slick and go with a 26 in tall slick. The 28 in tall slick will affect your final drive ratio (Like putting a numerically lower gear in), and your car will feel weak out of the hole.

You should be able to get away with that tire and rim size, but the quad shocks might interfere.

Didnt mention if you had an auto or 5spd. Just have fun.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:35 PM   #3
Redstang96
Registered Member

I ran at the track today but I didnt do very good. My best time was a 9.79 at 72 mph.I think once I get over my nervousness ill do better. My reaction times suck and i have a wheelhop issue off the line,but other than that it was a blast!If I do get some kind of a slick in the future,what tire size rim combo would you recommend?Im saving up right now for some 3.73's ,oh and i have a 5 speed.Thanks for your help!!cant wait to try again!!
Redstang96 is offline   Reply With Quote