MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-15-2004, 08:25 PM   #1
beerman1378
Registered Member

Default GAS mileage

why does it seem that I get crap for mileage?? Its a stock 03..just a cat back exhaust. Could something be wrong or out of whack?
beerman1378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:26 AM   #2
explicitone
Registered Member

Default Re: GAS mileage

Quote:
Originally posted by beerman1378
why does it seem that I get crap for mileage?? Its a stock 03..just a cat back exhaust. Could something be wrong or out of whack?
what do you call crap mpg

1st and most important you drive a mustang not a honda

try and do a search I have responded on this subject at least 3 times in the last month

DAMN I JUST NOTICED THE LAST ONE WAS YOU

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:12 AM   #3
JBeryleC
Registered Member

I have an '02 with only 9800 miles on it, I get about 16 mpg

But thats in town, I dont see the hyw much. And I've heard that you dont get the best gas mileage till you hit 12,000 miles or so.

It's gotta break in. That might be a bunch of crap, but I think I'll go with it for now, till I get up there in miles.

Also... gotta remember... you are driving some muscle, people who buy these cars dont drive slow, right?

So if you hammer it alot, like most GT owners do, then your not gonna get good mileage

Drive around in one gear to high for your speed (keeping your rpm's between idle and 2500) and get better gas mileage... but then, really, whats the point of having a GT ???
BBK long tubes, BBK h-pipe, MAC mufflers, K&N w/ silencer trimmed, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L plenum, Mobil1 synthetic fluids, FRPP aluminum drive shaft, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, FRPP 4.10's, 18x9 & 18x10 Saleens with Dunlop SP Super Sport Race rubber, Mach1 grill (GT delete), & Mach1 bumper chin!
Click here for pictures & more info!

If you are in Northern California, check out North Bay Mustang Club for local meets and cruises!
JBeryleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 02:04 PM   #4
beerman1378
Registered Member

I totally agree with both of you guys. I am FULLY aware that I have a muscle car and in no way am I complaining about gas mileage. I was just curious if this is the norm! I dont care if I get 10 mpg!! I am havin fun with it!
Old 03-17-2004, 02:05 AM   #5
JBeryleC
Registered Member

Well you never said what mileage you are getting????

I get about 300 miles per tank. Which is about 16.5 miles per gallon.

but that all depends on how my mood is on that particular tank of gas... hahaha!

And this is kinda beside the point... but is anyone else pissed off that Ford BARELY keeps up with the horsepower everyone else is putting out there?!?!?

I mean come on... theres a Nissan thats pushin 265 stock.. same as our "muscle car" What the hell !!!!

And now the GTO.. holy crap... FORD needs to get on top of things here! Even the up & coming '05 GT only has 310... STILL not as much as the '04 GTO

And with the new MOHC design we wont even be able to cam the new mustang!
BBK long tubes, BBK h-pipe, MAC mufflers, K&N w/ silencer trimmed, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L plenum, Mobil1 synthetic fluids, FRPP aluminum drive shaft, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, FRPP 4.10's, 18x9 & 18x10 Saleens with Dunlop SP Super Sport Race rubber, Mach1 grill (GT delete), & Mach1 bumper chin!

If you are in Northern California, check out North Bay Mustang Club for local meets and cruises!
Old 03-17-2004, 03:02 AM   #6
explicitone
Registered Member

you might want to check your math

if you get from full to not a drop the mustang tank it 15.3 gal.

that would make it 19.6 mpg and you said thats city so thats not bad mpg

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 03-17-2004, 08:58 AM   #7
beerman1378
Registered Member

i'm gettin 210-220 when the light comes on...I really dont care either way!! Like I said before, I'm just curious to see what everyone else is gettin..stock or modded.

Oh ya..I just noticed today that my d. side front quarter panel is soooo loose!! lol....just had to tighten a bolt!
Old 03-17-2004, 01:01 PM   #8
JBeryleC
Registered Member

Oh wow.. I thought, all this time that my car had a 18.5 gallon tank.. oops!!

Yeah my math was wrong, sorry guys! So there ya have it... excellent mileage for a "muscle car"

19 mpg!! yeah!!

Old 03-17-2004, 09:17 PM   #9
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I get about 210 before the light comes on with a combination of city/highway.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:20 PM   #10
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

BTW, my 2002 Suburban (5.7 L) gets about 20 mpg. 6,000 lb truck! Can you belive that crap? Does better than the stang.

The 05's (suburbans) are suppose to do about 4 - 5 gpm better by allowing the computer to shut down 4 cyclinders while cruising on the highway. Don't laugh, this will be happening to all cars soon.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 03-17-2004, 09:26 PM   #11
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
I get about 210 before the light comes on with a combination of city/highway.
that seems a little low
1 thing could because the verts are heavier

a lot of it could be driving style
i get about 300 before the light comes sometimes as much as 315 it all depends on how I drive that week

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 03-18-2004, 01:17 AM   #12
JBeryleC
Registered Member

Yeah same here... mines a convertible and I get 280-310 pretty much all city drivin'

And like explicit said... it just depends on the mood that week.. or how many stop lights we get stopped at, sitting next to some honda or acura thats revving theirs, soundin' like a lawn mower! hahaha

210 sounds low... that sucks, especially with gas prices right now

Old 03-18-2004, 07:40 AM   #13
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

It's probably just where my light comes on. I never really paid much attention to how much gass goes in. I think it is usually around 12 gallons.

My Stang:
Old 03-18-2004, 09:52 AM   #14
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
It's probably just where my light comes on. I never really paid much attention to how much gass goes in. I think it is usually around 12 gallons.
one thing is when you get your gears you should get better city milage, now that I havve my 4.10s I get better city then I do highway cause I can use 5th gear at 30 mph plus now that the thrill of the gears have worn off I back to driving normal and taking off at every light

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________