MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-31-2002, 10:26 PM   #1
lowerswill
Registered Member

Default unknown Pullies?

Ok..if any of you rememnber my first post I stated that I have a few mods that I am not sure what they are. Well I fugured out that I almost definitely have Flowmaster mufflers but the rest is stock on the exhaust.. bummer..

But i did find out that I have a set of pullies on the engine. They are nice and shinny so they have to be newer. They do not have anything saying what make or style they are but when I was comparing them to my buddies 97 GT the center pully is larger. I am not sure if that helps in figuring out what it is.

Does anybody have a way that I can figure out what type of pullies they are?? are can anybody tell me what the actual advantages it is for the car to replace the pullies??

Thanks for all your help..
Underdrive Pullies, some chip
17" GT rims
lowerswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 09:39 AM   #2
lowerswill
Registered Member

I think I figured out that these pullies are overdrive pullies. Every place I found has said that they add 10-15 HP to the engine (which probably means that only about 5 is getting to the tires right?). I have no problem with that, infact it makes me even happier because that is one less mod I have to do.

My questions is this. Several places that sell the overdrive or oversized pullies say that they are illegal in places that require emissions. Why is this? I ask because in Pittsburgh, emissions are required.

Thanks for any info..

Also is this a good mod or should I think about changing to a different type of pully? Thanks again
Underdrive Pullies, some chip
17" GT rims
lowerswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 08:42 PM   #3
cobrazex
Registered Member

Cool

First off they are underdrive pulleys. They free up horsepower by the use of a smaller crank pulley (5 1/2" dia) and larger water pump and alternator pulleys which slows them down a bit...........
1999 F-350 CC Dually PStroke..1996 SALEEN s281 vert #380 & 1998 Cobra vert
cobrazex is offline   Reply With Quote