MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-08-2003, 11:02 PM   #1
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Default I need some opinions.

Alright,i've been wanting to supercharge my car for a while now,but every way i look at it i won't be able to make too much power because i wouldn't wanna blow my block or nothing.So is there a way for me to add horsepower to my car while making it safer for high horsepower in the future?I also see people gain alot of HP on the 5.0s and older 4.6s with just new heads,but it seems like the never mustangs with the new PI heads don't have as many options.
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 05:28 PM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

It all depends on how much HP you are talking about. Fill us in a little more. I'm pushing about 8 psi with the old heads and the plastic intake, no problems yet! Where do you want to get to?
Old 10-09-2003, 06:28 PM   #3
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

I would like to push around 400rwhp.Just so i can beat pretty much most cars out there and them riceboys,but not to make the car too unstreetable.But i would be satisfied with pushing 350rwhp,i just want the car to be able to handle it.Also when people say the transmission won't handle it.Do they mean the actual transmission or just the clutch?
Old 10-09-2003, 07:09 PM   #4
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Also i've read around on a chevy board,and a popular performance upgrade for them seems to be a heads cam upgrade.After that they claim over 400rwhp.Any such packages for the 4.6?I can't imagine a gain of around 100rwhp from just heads/cam.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Almost any of the base supercharger kits (which are meant to be relatively safe for a stock shortblock) will make the kinds of numbers you are talking about on a 99+ 4.6L 2V. I was planning on a Vortech V2-SQ, but I have recently decided to go with the new Kenne Belle twin screw blower. The same blower can make 6-14 psi with only a pulley change, so you could run it at up 9psi intercooled on a stock shortblock and then bump it up later if you get a built shortblock.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 08:13 PM   #6
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

What do you guys think about this supercharger?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2436816606

It's a tuner kit.Does the tuner kit come with everything needed to be installed and run at the stock boost?And it sais it's my choice weather to get a V1 or a V2 SQ S-Trim.Where's the difference?I've seen that deal on the net for a long time.And it's my musclemotors.com,and they're supposed to be VERY reputable.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:16 PM   #7
SleeperGT
Registered Member

The Musclemotors.com supercharger ki seem like an excellent deal. If I had used them I would have saved over $1000. I've listed below the cost w/ labor of "re-purchasing" upgrades I had already paid for in my original Vortech purchase.

42 pound injectors, $300-$400 (Vortech came with 30 pounders)
New Diablo chip, $300-$350 (Vortech came with Superchip)
New Cobra fuel pump, $400-$500 (Vortech came with I think a 190 lph pump)
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
Steeda Lower Control Arms
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

New Track Times Coming Soon
SleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 05:19 PM   #8
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Yeah but see the kit you just described i can get from musclemotors for 3300 they said.But this right here is a tuner kit.It doesn't come with those things from what i understand.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:38 PM   #9
Torinalth
Registered Member

you want to be at 400 HP... easily done fr a daily...

what i'd recommend is just getting the standard kenne bell 9lb intercooled twin screw blower.... easily get 400 HP with just that.

the stock engine can take around 425-450 safely... though people recommend new rings, head and main studs and i was suggested to get bearings as well.... but others say that the stock engine will take 450 all day long with no issues....

as far as the head/cam to get 400 HP on a LS1... yeah, they can... they start at around 300 to the floor anyhow, but they have a 5.7L engine, wnat do you expect? GM really restricted their intake track from the factory, so they can be made very fast with almost no effort... and no, there is nothing out there to give you those numbers for the mustang...

the kenne bell supercharger is all you need, and will get you to 400 with no problems, plus it will act like a NA car because you get full power at 2000 RPM and it does not drop off... when i get my car back and the extra insurance money (got rear ended wednesday) I'll be getting that blower for my 2002.

Torinalth
Old 10-11-2003, 09:52 PM   #10
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Is it worth it paying almost twice as much for it though?For that money i could get me a turbo setup.Do you think the kenne bell is safer then a centrifugal supercharger though?
Old 10-11-2003, 10:07 PM   #11
Torinalth
Registered Member

kenne bell is in all ways better than a centrifugal blower...

i have done a lot of research in the past weeks to determine where i want to go. and the centrifugals are just not that great.... at high RPMs they get their peak power, like at 5k RPM or so... that means you will not always have all the power that your car can create... it peaks then slopes off again.

the kenne bell has constant power from 2000 RPM-6000 rpm. so at any time when you put the pedal to the floor you are going to get the same power... thusly.... if you have the KB blower pushing 400 HP you will beat a centrifugal blown mustang with more power because you will have a constant power, and easily take more from a dead stop, the centrifugal needs to spool up to make the power, so the initial jump is yours... and every time he shifts the centrifugal drops outta full boost range...

the kenne bell is the best street blower i;ve seen to date. and will be what i am getting... plus its 50 state emissions legal.... no turbo can do that.... plus if you onyl want 400 HP the KB is the end all be all (in my opinion)... now if you want 700 HP... well, thats another story... but 400 HP at your beck and call whenever you put the pedal to the floor, no matter the RPM is nice...

maybe the cash is not worth it to you... an ATI procharger runs 3600 for a 375 HP kit.... add exhaust and you have near 400.. but in a drag race its still going to go down to a similarly driven kenne bell blown GT.

Torinalth
Old 10-11-2003, 10:20 PM   #12
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Well if i race i won't start at idle.I'll start at around 2000 or more depending on tires.So i would have pretty much full boost.And while shifting i could eather power shift,or shift really fast like i would anyway.And the boost shouldn't fall at all.I haven't really thought about the kenne bell though.I've seen it mentioned before,just never gave it much thought.I'll look into it though.Thanks.