MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-12-2003, 06:06 PM   #1
aceplayer25
Registered Member

Default oil change

Hey everyone, new to this forum and new owner of a 97 cobra.
I am about to change the engine oil and need to know what is the best oil to use. I have always used CASTROL 20W50 in all my cars, but dont know if it would be wise. I live in Florida and as everyone knows it gets really hot here, and just want the best protection. Thanks, Jason.
aceplayer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 08:33 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Go with a synthetic 10W30....

Have used it in all my high performance vehicles down here in 100+ degree summer Dallas, Texas...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:30 AM   #3
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Default Oil Suggestion

I Suggest If the car has over 25 or 30k miles to put some Royal Purple, Mobil One, Ams Oil, or any synthetic oil. Ads longevity to the car as well as reduced emissions, More HP ("they Say"), and the engine will run cooler and more efficiently. I personally use Royal Purple 10W30 and I live in Hot @SS Georgia with 1 Trillion percent humidity... I guess FL has 2 trillion :P but still.... Its a good oil... Its a little pricey... but good... Oh yeah don't forget to get a Filter designed for Synthetic oil... I think fram makes one called X2 or something like that... U don't have to use one designed for it, but its probably a good idea so the other one doesn't get clogged up after 3K miles... Whereas u can run Royal Purple for like 6 or 7K I wouldn't do that but u can... I change mine every 4k or so.... Hope this helps...
Ported Factory Heads, New Performance valvetrain , BBK 62MM TB, Sean Hyland Spec Stage One Cams, Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch, Steeda Tri-ax, Mac Cold Air, Saleen Wheels (18x9 & 18x10), Among other things...

"I Like anything Fast Enough to Do Something Stupid In"
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:24 PM   #4
Snakeman
Registered Member

Exclamation

one thing with the cobras...
after changing the oil, i pull the connectors going to the coil packs and turn the engine over with the starter motor until there is oil pressure BEFORE starting the car.

i feel this is VERY important with these touchy motors...