MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-12-2002, 09:30 PM   #1
apenn

Default Can't Believe This

I really can't believe folks actually rag on the '96 to '98 cars. For 5 years my car project was test driving Mustangs (I'm a cheap sob and didn't want to step into payments). These cars and the 99+'s have the same torque numbers (which is where the fun really is), sound the same and really drive and feel the same. To actually feel the extra 35 hp in the 99+'s you've gotta have that puppy wound out and really going for it. So if hauling a*s at the track is really your thing your going to being mod'ing that thing to death anyways, and a heavily mod'ed '98 vs '99 only comes down to one thing, DRIVER SKILL, and that is that. I will easily put a skilled driver behind a stock '98 car and he or she will easily toast some of these folks who are bashing the '98 cars, I have feeling the folks bashing these cars are arm chair racers. A '98 GT came with 225 hp and about 300 ft lb of torque. Don't anyone forget that is equal to the highest output any 5.0 GT ever put out stock, and don't all of us know that the 5.0 is suppose to be the best Mustang ever (I am so sick of hearing that because it is so untrue!). I know, I had an '89 5.0 which I loved, but it burned oil and my gas mileage could drop to 12 mpg if I got on it. My 4.6 hasn't burned a drop of oil and my mileage NEVER goes below 16 mpg. Anyways not to turn the tables into a 5.0 vs 4.6 bash session.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:42 PM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

98 GT......high 14 second car
99 GT.......high 13-14 flat second car
89 GT......mid 14 second car

98 might have the same hp as a fox 5.0, but the fox has the weight advantage. Plus parts are a lot cheaper, so they are much easier to get moving.

99+ 4.6's are just plain faster than Gen I 4.6's......that's that

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:10 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I am no arm chair racer. and you are too sensitive.

My 5.0 with moddest mods is faster than my 01' cobra. So lets dont even start with the 4.6 vs. 5.0 thing.

Cry me a Phucking river
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 11:06 PM   #4
apenn

Mr. Potty Mouth Dark_5.0 your statement contradicts your sig.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:42 AM   #5
Illini
Registered Member

Question Questions

Hey Apenn, how you doing. Couple quick questions, you said that your a cheap sob that didn't want to step into payments, I understnd that. But your sig has a 00 blown GT, so why would you bash a 99+ over a 96-98? I mean I know my car is not super quick, but stock for stock it's quicker than a 96-98 gt. I just haven't gotten your post figured out yet. I don't think we as Mustang owners really bash anybody that has a mustang, maybe joke a little. When I first read your post it sounded like you did some research and couldn't or didn't want newer car payments so you settled for a 96-98 with the intentions of modding it to make it equal to a newer GT. But when I read your sig thats when I got a little confused. I believe Dark_5.0 meant to say that when his 5.0 only had a few mods on it , it was quicker then his cobra. Now his 5.0 is heavily modded and it's even faster?? Not for sure but I think thats what he meant. And as far as his "cry me a phucking river" phrase it's really not any worse then "SOB". Later.

DH
steeda underdrives, timing adjuster, triax, C&L maf, MM strut tower brace and k-member brace, Steeda subs weld-in, steeda tubular front sway bar, bullitt springs ,struts(tokico's)and shocks, bullitt gas door, alum.pedals, MM panhard Bar, cobra 13" front brake upgrade. ON THE WAY TO BECOMING A TRACK *****
66' 2 dr malibu;
355 cube 4-bolt main, steel crank, chevy pink rods, KB 10.7 to1 pistons, ported double humps 202&160, torkerII intake, rejetted holley 650 D.P., crane ignition box, comp.cam roller rockers& 280 degree cam, balanced to 8500 rpm, hooker super comps, 3000 rpm stall and built turbo 350 tranny. dynoed at 543hp and 582 tq
Illini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 10:15 AM   #6
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
99+ 4.6's are just plain faster than Gen I 4.6's......that's that
The above statement is why I get messed with by everything from Geo Metros to 99+ GTs.....

I put in my 2 cents on this subject in the "Tired of it!" thread.

It all boils down to run what ya brung....

I respect anyone who drives a V8 Mustang, no matter what the year or model.

Any Mustang is fairly easy to make fast....

Just keep that in the back of your mind when you pull up to another Mustang at the light....

Odds are he's pretty stock.... But is he?
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 10:52 AM   #7
southernstang97

Default hammer !!! hits the nail on the head again !!

I could not say it any better that HAmmer ,,,, A V8 mustang is a V8 mustang , be it a 5.0 or 4.6 , each have there good and bad points. I do feel that in the long run the 4.6 is going to put out more power and be a over all better engine but thats going to take years and years of work ,,,, just like it was for the 5.0 !!!

V8 Mustang = much respect !!!!1

4c/v6 Rice = sh-- !!!!!

~!Bottom line !~
Old 09-13-2002, 11:26 AM   #8
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Here is me and the 5.0 doing some more arm chair racing.

Last edited by Dark_5.0; 09-13-2002 at 11:31 AM..
Old 09-13-2002, 01:08 PM   #9
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I woulk think that especially someone who has a blown '00GT would understand. You put the same blower with the same drive pulley on a bone stock 99 and a bone stock 96-98 and see what the horsepower difference is then. And to say that the older 2V 4.6s are just as fast unless you are really revving it is a bit absurd - if you're talking about acceleration you better be using your power band.
I think you folks are being way too sensitive. So one person said '96-'98 GTs are turds recently and was probably half joking. Now we have had 2 whining threads about it.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 02:18 PM   #10
The Deuce
Registered Member

Here's what I don't understand.

In 65 you could get three differnt v-8's.

2v (hydrolic lifters) (?)
4v (hydrolic lifters) 'a' (?)
4v (solid) 'k'

Now the k-code was rated at 271, and the A at 225. That's 46 difference where as my 97 to a 99 is 45.

Is an A code 289 a 'turd'? Do people ask, "why on earth would you buy an a code?

No. And those were the same year. If my car made 260, and the new ones did too, people would still complain.

Can we maybe get some of these whining threads locked down? Its getting old.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 02:35 PM   #11
southernstang97

Default whining , lol

Its funny to me that all you people think these threads are whining , whataht people have been saying is true , and yes I don't care if someone does not like my 97 , makes me none , but what gets old is hearing people that have a mustang put down another mustang ..... if you feel that since your on a pc and now you can now start talking sh-- , talk about ricers !!!!!

The funnest thing I have seen since i got my stang is how many guys think there car makes them something ,, if you have a 03 cobra it makes none to me ,, makes you no better ..... If you are bad looking,,, the car really does make you look better and if your a bad person,,, the car really doesn't make you any better ....

SO GET A LIFE !!!! GET SOME PRIDE !!!! and burn rice !!!!
Old 09-13-2002, 02:57 PM   #12
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Only people with slow cars target ricers for races. Ricers are like cones on an obstical course I just go around them.

I think the whiners need to get a life. There is nothing you can do when you are 0WNED by the facts.

Later,
Old 09-13-2002, 03:17 PM   #13
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Ummm...nevermind. You guys argue this one out I'll be at the track beating on my car.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 03:38 PM   #14
apenn

Default Uncle!

Uncle! My only point is that a V8 Mustang is a great car, be it a '96 or '00 and that these models really feel pretty much the same hustling them around town. The track is obviously a different case though.

Now back to real matters. Please check out my new post concerning my dyno trip, need some real advice on my next steps and mods.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2002, 01:13 PM   #15
ELEANOR02
Registered Member

Talking

When it comes to V8 mustangs who cares what year it is? Enjoy them all, it's all about the love of the car. Very well said Hammer.
ELEANOR02 is offline   Reply With Quote