MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-09-2003, 12:29 PM   #1
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

Question Anyones A/C stop working ???

Okay, here is was happened. I was driving down the road at 75mph, with the A/C on max. Then it just quit working, the fan still blows air out the vents but its not cold. After further trouble shooting I notice the compressor is not coming on. So i take it to my dad (who knows just about everything about the old AC systems). He shoots the wires, and the switch that tell the compressor to turn on. We hotwired the compressor straight to the battery and it turns on, and i get COLD air like it should. He thought it might have been low, so he hooked up the gauges and said it was full, but we tried to stick one more can in anyway. but still nothen. i'm trying to avoid paying for all the labor involved in trouble shooting the AC system...

So has anyone had this problem before? the car is a '97 GT conv.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

it is the switch on the evap canister that tell the system to run the compressor i would bet money that this is the problem i have seen this happen twice. and the switch being replaced fixed both
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:25 AM   #3
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

If you were at a constant speed then you've got a problem...

If you were accelerating then it is normal. When you open the throttle to 3/4 to full, the AC compressor will switch off, when driving normal it will operate normal.

Just FYI
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:26 PM   #4
LordBeavis
Registered Member

I have a 89 mustang 5.0 lx and my a/c just stoped working also. I got a refill kit and tested the pressure and it was low. So i filled it up to the recommended pressure and it still doesn't turn on. The blower is on but the compressure is off. I was wondering how you hooked it directly to the batery to test it. Mine has 2 wires to it. I can turn the pully manualy so i know its not frozen.
Any help would be greatfull
LordBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:34 AM   #5
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

look on the compressor, ones positive, ones negetive, just run a wire from the battery to the + on the compressor with the engine running. If it kicks on then the compressor is most likely good. Be carefull not to lose a finger in the process.

My problem was the low pressure switch.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:45 AM   #6
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LordBeavis
I have a 89 mustang 5.0 lx and my a/c just stoped working also. I got a refill kit and tested the pressure and it was low. So i filled it up to the recommended pressure and it still doesn't turn on. The blower is on but the compressure is off. I was wondering how you hooked it directly to the batery to test it. Mine has 2 wires to it. I can turn the pully manualy so i know its not frozen.
Any help would be greatfull
Has your system been converted to R-134? If not, and you put R-134 in with the R-12, you're asking for a compressor failure, if it hasn't already failed. Also, you need a real gauge set to check both high & low pressures, not that POS thing you get in the kits.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote