MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-30-2002, 01:07 PM   #1
'01GTStang
Registered Member

Question New Rims (The Real Ones)

Hey guys. I was just wondering if you could help me out with a few things. I've got an 01 GT (manual 5spd tranny) and I am looking to start making some modifications but I am new coming into this. I'm not sure where to begin. Anyone have any suggestions?

Another thing is the hood scoop. It bothers me that the ram air hood is non-functional. Would it be a huge deal to but a new ram air hood that is functional? Would it be a problem because of the location of the intake or for some other reason?

Also, I am looking to get new rims. I want to get 18" chrome cobra R rims but there are so many fakes and phonies out there that are just spinoffs of the real thing. How can I be sure that I get the "real" ones and where do you think I should look for these to make sure I don't get riped off. Any suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks fellas.
'01GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 02:33 PM   #2
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

You can get a ram air kit from www.karkraft.com. I think that it is somewhere around $500 for the kit, and you use the stock hood and scoop. I think that you will get something like 14 HP. It also has a 3 stage water entrapment design. I want to get one but it isn't practical with my blower.

Custom Electronic Exhaust cut outs
Tuning via Diablo Predator
Ported and polished Throttle body and plenum
Line locker (for the smoke shows)
Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
mlambrecht82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 05:27 PM   #3
'01GTStang
Registered Member

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the input. I went to that site however and I was unable to find the kit. Do you know what section it is listed under? I took a look at your ride, I have to say it is very impressive. I may be biased though because mine is Silver too. What was the first thing you did to yours when you got it? What are some relatively inexpensive ways to increase horsepower? Do you have any tips for me starting out? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:42 PM   #4
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

i went and looked at the Kar Kraft site and you're right, it isn't on there anymore. I'm sure they still make it though. Call them or send them an email. In the mean time you can check out the system at this site: http://www.mustangweekly.com/2000/oc.../ramaripg1.asp
They did a review on it. It took a while but I found it, I had to go through the archives.

The first mod I did to my car was the K&N Filter. I actually did that the day that I bought the car, I took it out of my F150 and put it in my car. That's a good place to start. As far as giving you advice on what mods to do to your car, you first have to decide what you want to turn your car into. i.e. a dragster, a road racer, a cruiser, or a street racer. Then you have to decide is you want to keep the car Naturally aspirated, or if you want to go with a turbo or supercharger or even N2O. Now of coarse I'm not saying that those are the first mods to do, I'm saying you have to have a vision of where you want to go, or a goal. As far as a general mod that would fit under any catagorey of car, go with the K&N, then go with a Steeda Tri-ax or Pro 5.0 (if you have a manual). these are both necessary mods, that you will really enjoy. Exhaust is another good place to start. I have MagnaFlow Mufflers and they sound great, all the Mustang guys in my area envy the sound of my car, but I just made some exhaust cut outs so it seems that the $140 that I spent on Magnaflows is a waste, since the exhaust doesn't go through them anyways. I will probably never switch out a stock muffler again (unless to save weight) Exhaust cut outs are the way to go. You have the best of both worlds, and I emphasize BEST! They have electric exhaust cut outs that cost less than a cat back system, and you can turn your car from quiet as a mouse to as loud as a lion in a matter of seconds. For me this is the ideal set up. Now you have to decide if you want a nice semi-throaty mellow exhaust tone, or if you want to turn your stang into a beast that will make people a block away from you will run and hide. Then with the flip of a switch your car shuts up. It all depends on what kind of image you are going for. Underdrive pulleys are another nice mod, along with the steeda timing adjuster. these are proven horsepower. If I recall correctly they dynoed a gain of 14 HP at the rear wheels symply with Steeda underdrive pulleys and a Steeda timing adjuster. I haven't done either of these mods yet, and I might not get a timing adjuster at all since my timing isn't stock anyways. If you have an automatic a new computer chip might be a good idea. Wait until you do a few mods to the car though before you get one, otherwies it won't make a big difference. I think that I rambled on enough already, I hope this helps you and gets that gasoline pumping through your veins.
Ohh, and another thing, if you plan on going with the ram air (which is deffinately what i would do if I didn't have a blower) don't buy a K&N because the kit comes with one.
If you don't want to dish out $4000 for a blower I would go with the ram air, then a little squirt of N2O latter on down the road, just don't cut corners on N2O because it could really damage your engine if it isn't done right. Alright talk to ya later.

Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
Old 11-30-2002, 06:45 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

For new stangers I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the modular FAQ... (You know, the post that says READ THIS FIRST)
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 07:24 PM   #6
'01GTStang
Registered Member

Default Great.

Ok thanks. I already have a K&N so I am looking to take the next step. I think I want to stay away from Nitrous for now but I like the other ideas. I have a manual so you think the Pro 5.0 shifter is the way to go, even with a 2001 4.6 liter engine? I know that probably doesn't matter but I am still learning here. I may also look into the underdrive pulleys and I am also thinking of calling karkraft about that kit. I appreciate your feedback as it was very helpful. The gas is definitely pumping now. For exhaust I am looking for a nice loud but deep throaty sound, so the car who pulls up next to you at a light can feel it. What do you know about gears, I was thinkning maybe 3.73's? Thanks.

Scott
Old 12-02-2002, 12:35 AM   #7
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

I would go with the Steeda Tri ax instead of the Pro 5.0. The majority of people here seem to agree with me. I think that you can get it on sale right now at www.steeda.com click on specials. As far as exhaust, something that will make the guy next to you feel the rumble will drive you crazy driving around town, go with electronic exhaust cut outs, you car will go from stock to shaking everything within a matter of seconds.
go to:
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/
They have a complete setup for $309 includes exhaust cut outs. All you have to do is wire it up and weld them into place.
You can see a video on my site of what it sounds like, the quality isn't to good though. One video is with out the supercharger with magnaflow mufflers and 2 cats removed. The second video is w/ the supercharger and BBK LT headers and High flow cats with exhaust cut outs. So if you dont change your headers or H pipe it will be a little bit quieter.
http://mustangmadness.hypermart.net
click on the videos section.

Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
Old 12-02-2002, 03:31 AM   #8
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

if you have bullit wheel's , wanna sell them, i dont need tire's, let me know.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote