MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-27-2003, 02:24 AM   #1
-viscid-01-GT-
Registered Member

Default Warranty Voided??

Hey I have a 2001 GT that i bought used in june 2002. I did purchase their offered warranty for a couple grand. I wanted to know if my mods are going to void the 5 year 100k mile warranty. I want to put a cold air intake, exhaust, alarm system, stereo amp., possibly body kit, and perhaps a TB. Will these void my warranty? Thanks for your help!
-viscid-01-GT- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 02:51 AM   #2
The Deuce
Registered Member

Depends.

If by exhaust you mean, headers and x-pipe you're getting iffy.

Just like with the throttle body.

The law they have to be able to prove the modifications resulted in/contributed to the problem you are having.

Gears is a big no-no. Makes everything spin faster.

A good rule of thumb is, if you have to change a gasket it will effect your warranty coverage.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 01:54 PM   #3
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce
The law they have to be able to prove the modifications resulted in/contributed to the problem you are having.
Warranty covers defects in material and workmanship. You must prove that any failure must be related to these 2 items. Modifing any system to add any stress or strain to a component will void the warranty. Always keep this in mind.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 06:48 PM   #4
Murdock
Registered Member

Ford covered my '01 GT and I had:

Mufflers
H-Pipe
Lowering kit
CAI
MAF meter
TB
intake spacer
Chip

The only thing I could see is the amp. Only if you ever have a problem with the charging system. However the GT's have amps from the factory, do you want more?

Murdock
Old 02-27-2003, 11:27 PM   #5
Technick
Registered Member

There is a FEDERAL LAW called the Maggnoson/Moss Warrenty act that explicitly states "it is against Federal Law for a new car dealer to deny warrenty coverage based soley on the addition of aftermarket parts, the dealer must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the aftermarket parts caused the failure before coverage can be denied". If the part is 50 state emmision legal it is almost imposible for the dealer to deny warrenty coverage. Now if you get your stang towed in from the dragstrip with slicks on it, then it is a sure bet that warrenty coverage would be denied. If just the installation of aftermarket parts could really void the warrenty then you would not have the HUGE supply of performance parts available from HUNDREDS of manufacturers available today. Why do you think SEMA was formed! To protect the aftermarket industry!. Have you ever been to the SEMA show in Vegas the 1 st week of November. It is a display of literly hundreds of millions of dollers in new aftermarket performance parts for the comming new year. Did you know that Ford Motor Company is the 1st auto manufacturer to actively share its technology with the aftermarket for the expressed purpose of the enthusiest modifying it's vehicles. In fact the specs for the Ford Focus were released to the aftermarket 12 months prior to the Focus being introduced in the U.S.A. so that the buying public could have readily available performance parts to modify their cars? Would Ford do this to just later say "Woops, no warrenty because you have a cold air kit, or underdrive pulleys!" I do not think so. The addition of gears, pulleys, exhaust, mass air meters, even superchargers do not of themselves void the warrenty. Had a friend of mine with a 97 Cobra with a Kenne Bell Whipple charger on it that had the trans rebuilt under warrenty! ( this goes back a few years ago when the car was still under the 3 -36K warrenty). Unfortunately MOST new car dealers are unaware of this Federal Law. Usually a request to use their phone to place a toll free phone call to the Federal Trade Commission usually clears things up in a hurry! I have actually done this with great sucess. SEMA has a great web site that explaines this much further. SEMA stands for Speciality Equipment Market Association. I would wager that ALL aftermarket performance suppliers and manufacturers are a member of SEMA. Go to any Performance manufacturer web site, Holley, NOS, Edelbrock, Bassani, Hooker, ARP, ect,ect,ect............. and you will see that they proudly procalaim there membership to SEMA.
Now I will get off my soap box and let the rest of you get a word in edgewise!
Old 02-28-2003, 08:30 PM   #6
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Like I said defect in Material or workmanship.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote