MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-02-2001, 11:51 AM   #1
01 BLACK GT
Registered Member

Question Clunk Clunk

The other day I noticed a Clunk when either I take off or downshift..Its on my 2001 gt. Feels like a Motor mount or member busted or something
Anyone have this problem..Please help

------------------
01' Black GT
2 chamber Flows
Mach 460, Leather 17"thrust wheels, bassanni x-pipe with cats, BBK Cold Air, Steeda pullies and timing adjuster @ 13*, Steeda Satin Shift Knob
Tri-ax shifter
A pillar Double gauge pod, Auto meter White Phantom Gauges Fuel Pressure and Vac, Richmond 3:73's

01 BLACK GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 12:46 PM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

One of my freinds had the same problem, it was his transmission mount. Theres been a few with that problem.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 01:12 AM   #3
96SNAKE
Registered Member

I have something like that happening too. It also makes my aluminum driveshaft get scored by the parking brake bracket up in the driveshaft tunnel. Although some people have told me that my Eibach springs may be shot too.

I checked the trans mount and it looked ok.
Mercury, was your friend's broken trans mount visable? How did they find the brake and where on the mount was it broken?

Thanks!

------------------
formerly 96cobra89lx306

(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Saleen copy-polished 18's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(gutted),C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower before gutting the X pipe
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 01:29 PM   #4
01 BLACK GT
Registered Member

I just heard it when I first stearted the car. I think it is a motor mount and the motor is twisting and banging back in place.
I took it to the dealer and they said it was the powersteering rack loose and sway bar bolts..BULL CRAP! Its still there!
I hate dealers
Later

------------------
01' Black GT
2 chamber Flows Mach 460, Leather 17"thrust wheels, bassanni x-pipe with cats, BBK Cold Air, Steeda pullies and timing adjuster @ 13*, Steeda Satin Shift Knob
Tri-ax shifter A pillar Double gauge pod, Auto meter White Phantom Gauges Fuel Pressure and Vac, Richmond 3:73's
Steeda Subframe Connectors.Strut Tower Brace
13.41 @ 102.1mph

Old 07-03-2001, 04:55 PM   #5
Ares
Registered Member

If tranny mount is broke you would notice shifter kick up alil.

A motor mount would be very easy to spot since it wouldnt take much throttle to get it to tweak sideways. From what you describe yah your motor mount sounds as if it is broken. I have broken both at one time on a firebird(not fun when when this happend at track)

Make sure to get it fixed, since other one could easily get broken along with tranny mount now.

------------------
2000 GT Laser red-5speed,MAC Cold Air, MAC 2 1/2" Cat-Back, 3.27gears, Pro-5.0 shifter, Weld Draglite's 15x5 and 15x10, 275/50-15 DragT/A's, 165R15 front, BBK Underdrive pullies, BBK offroad X-pipe with Dynomax super converters

Best Quarter mile run to date: 13.353@101.70/1.849 60'(4-29-01)Best MPH 101.70(4/29/01)
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 11:29 PM   #6
01 BLACK GT
Registered Member

I noticed today when I tried to chirp 2nd gear, It sounded like the trans or rear smacked the floor board. I get alot of vibration on the floor when under a normal take off and shift. I'm taking it to my friend's shop in the morning to check it out before it becomes a big Problem
Later

------------------
01' Black GT
2 chamber Flows Mach 460, Leather 17"thrust wheels, bassanni x-pipe with cats, BBK Cold Air, Steeda pullies and timing adjuster @ 13*, Steeda Satin Shift Knob
Tri-ax shifter A pillar Double gauge pod, Auto meter White Phantom Gauges Fuel Pressure and Vac, Richmond 3:73's
13.41 @ 102.1mph

Old 07-04-2001, 09:20 AM   #7
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Yes, let us know. It sounds like your car has the same problem as mine.
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 08:37 AM   #8
01 BLACK GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Well I took it to my friends shop. we looked at it for maybe 2 hours. we tightened every bolt but they were all tight. then we were talking and I had my hands on the front sway bar and was kinda rocking the car when I heard the noise. There were 6 bolts we didn't check. 3 Trans cross menmber bolts were about 1-2 turns out. That was nothing. When I checked the trans mount bolts, They wer 2 turns from falling out!!!!!!!!!!!So we took them the rest of the way out and put some loctite on them. Drove it and guess what.....NO NOISE!!!!!!!So we checked every bolt again with a fine tooth comb just to make sure there was nothin' else.
Later

------------------
01' Black GT
13.41 @ 102.1mph

Old 07-07-2001, 03:49 PM   #9
Ares
Registered Member

Heh, well that was alot easier to fix then a motor or tranny mount I'll take loose bolts anyday.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 09:38 PM   #10
Tim C
Registered Member

Glad you got it fixed. Im the friend Mercury was talking about. The trans mount bolts on my GT were loose, causing a clunk when shifting, and when starting off. It could cause the driveshaft to scrape, but at the ford dealer where i work, we've also seen the bracket for the e-brake cables to tear loose from the floor and rub the exhaust. to fix you have to remove the console and drill thru the floor and install a bolt and washer after beating the bracket back in place. It might be worth it to check that while your down there. Also, the knock on startup with some GTs and Cobras has been contributed to the H-pipe hitting the floor. It is usually more noticable with an aftermarket piece. But yours sounds like it was due to the mount.
Tim

------------------
99 35th Anniversary Edition GT (Scoop on the sides and the hood, billet aluminum shift knob, special floormats, special rims), Black and Silver leather interior, Mach 460 Sound, 5 speed, Flowmasters, K&N Filter, Steeda Triax Shifter, Flowtech H-pipe (hopefully gears soon)

[This message has been edited by Tim C (edited 07-12-2001).]
Tim C is offline   Reply With Quote