MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-02-2001, 12:34 PM   #1
-=SHARkY=-
Registered Member

Question HELP! I guess?!

To whom it may concern..

I just ordered a 2002 yellow GT convertable. Put my down and I'm waiting for SuMmEr! I'm 22, working for Telesat Canada as an IS support. I know about cars, just not allot. I have a 16 y/old coop student who's dad's a pro dragster, so he's helping me out allot.

Now, I need web sites/parts!!! I want to put money in my car (of course) to modify it with time (as I get $). My goal is to finish by putting a blower and making it sound like it as well. I know you can modify a trillion things like roller rockers (just thought of this) and what not. I want nothing but the best. Looking here, I was impressed. Again, whatever you can tell me that I can put on that YOU guys/gals recommend is highly appreciated. I thank you for your time in advance.

------------------
I'm Crazy, NOT stupid.
-=SHARkY=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 01:09 PM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Welcome to the board Sharky!

I'm sure you'll get pointed in the right direction if you hang out here.

What are you looking at doing first?

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 02:00 PM   #3
-=SHARkY=-
Registered Member

Wink

Well., For starters... Id like for it to sound nice. Not too loud but still, I don't want a mufled noise. But then it would be good to change the exhaust headers and what not.. So I want to put $ into it, with very nice/good stuff, just not 5k in one shot right away., I'm building up for my down!
Then., I want to add performance all the way. Anything than can be changed to add HP, I want it! With time, it'll strong and fast.

So, here's my $0.02!
Old 10-02-2001, 05:40 PM   #4
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

If you definately know you want a blower in the future for your car, then you should plan your mods around that.
I normally wouldn't recogmend headers, due to their price and complex install, but they will definately help once you have a blower. So once you decide on the type of headers (shorty or longtubes) then that will help determine what kind of high flow H or X pipe to get. To finish off the exhaust, you can either just change the mufflers, or get a whole new catback. The mufflers you pick will have a big effect on the sound you get. The stock catback pipes should still flow well enough for a blown motor, but you may want the catback for the added flow when you get the blower.
You can get a larger MAF too, just make sure you can have it calibrated for a blower down the road.
A bigger Throttle Body will help too. Not much stock, but better with the blower.
The type of blower you get may influence your chioce of rear gears also.
If the car is a 5spd, get a shifter.
Underdrive pulleys and a cold air kit will be useless once you get the blower, so you should probably leave them off.
Basically its how far you want to go. Hope this helped.

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L: Dynomax cat-back, MN-12 perf. offroad downtubes and Y-pipe w/ Magnaflow resonator, 80mm MAF with cone filter, B&M trans cooler, Inject-Tech chip, MAC U/D pulleys, KVR front brake upgrade. 15.2 @ 91 before exhaust & pulleys. Not bad for a 3800lb auto 4.6L

No Longer own: 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 11:06 PM   #5
FiveOGirl
Registered Member

When did they say your car would be ready?
FiveOGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 11:22 AM   #6
-=SHARkY=-
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks 91LX2Bfast!

That's quite a bit of info. I'll be showing this to my coop student! My other Q. would be; don't I have to change the pistons and conecting rods or something due to balance? And, what would you recommend I change first getting ready for the blower? Also, what parts, companies... Thanks a bunch!

BTW. to answer FiveOgirl's Q. I'm getting the car at the end of March 2002. Just when the snow & salt is all gone. The cars is being "officially" ordered at the end of november. For winter, I drive a nice 1992 Ford Ranger STX 4x4 sports pakage truck (roll bars with off road lights, bull nose with fog lights, tubular rear bumper, box liner, 4.0L V6 W/low range trans.) Candy apple red with the nice STX pakage stickers on the side. I was offered $4K in exchange, I can probably get $8K if use auto trader!!

Cheers.
Old 10-03-2001, 02:54 PM   #7
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

You really don't have to mess w/ the internals of the engine unless you plan to run Big horsepower and high amounts of boost. The stock pistons are the only real weak part. You can run 6-8psi pretty safe for the most part. Anything over that is putting added stress on your weak pistons and you may find yourself w/ a blown motor. Now, there are plenty of guys running much more then 6-8psi, but they can afford to rebuild the motor if it lets go. If you need more power then the 8psi will provide, then an upgrade to your ignition system and fuel systems should let you run a little more boost.
One thing to remember, a blower and other go-fast parts will void your warranty, so you may not want to buy the extended warranty. package.

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L: Dynomax cat-back, MN-12 perf. offroad downtubes and Y-pipe w/ Magnaflow resonator, 80mm MAF with cone filter, B&M trans cooler, Inject-Tech chip, MAC U/D pulleys, KVR front brake upgrade. 15.2 @ 91 before exhaust & pulleys. Not bad for a 3800lb auto 4.6L

No Longer own: 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote