MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-23-2001, 02:38 PM   #1
01Snake
Registered Member

Question Will it let go?

I'm looking to supercharge my Cobra. I am sold on an intercooler system and I like the self contained oil in the Procharger P-1SC.
Can I safely run a 10lb. boost if I use the 3 core intercooler for a daily driver or should I stick with the 8lb. boost. I know the boost question has come up before, I'm just thinking the intercooler would give me some detonation insurance. Am I thinking straight?
01Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 04:22 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Lightbulb

There's a lot of debate on this....

Personally, If the car is a daily driver and you can't afford to have it let go, stick with the 8lb pulley.

------------------
Adam "Hammer" Packett:
Moderator, Gulf War Veteran
Holy Moses... Stop reading magazine times, put down the Fast and the Furious speed calculator, pull your head out... and read the da** TIME SLIP!"

[This message has been edited by Hammer (edited 10-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hammer (edited 10-23-2001).]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 03:22 PM   #3
mleboeuf

Snake, Im in the same boat you are except mine is a '98 Cobra. Heres what Ive gathered from my sources

10lbs of boost is safe provided your engine managmeent system (read the EECV) is able to compensate for the pressurized intake charge. If the misture leans out, your cylinder temp will rise rapidly and lead to detonation. Due to the use of the hypereutectic pistons (read hyper-u-craptic) the engine internals will not take excessive detonation for long. If you go with the 10lb bost, work with a reputable tuner and make damn sure that you don't lean out anywhere in your usable RPM range. Once that bit is sorted out, your reliability should be pretty good

Me, Im a chicken, Ill wait until I get my Hyland Motor Sports prepped block (just as soon as I win the lottery)!
Old 11-02-2001, 07:24 PM   #4
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

I agree with Hammer. 8 intercooled psi should provide you with plenty of power for the street, and still stay very safe for a daily driver. Want to be real safe, get a dyno tune even at this low psi just to make sure your fuel curve is checking out OK.
When you save up more cash to upgrade your fuel system, then got to 10-12psi and get that thing tuned. 450+ hp to the wheels.

[This message has been edited by 91LX2Bfast (edited 11-02-2001).]
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 07:24 PM   #5
97cobracpe
Registered Member

Don't worry so much, your car has knock sensors. If you detonate, your car will pull timing, and you will lose all kinds of power, but it will save you're motor. I say get you're car on the dyno, and try both pullies. Run 8psi on the street and 10psi w/ race fuel at the track.
97cobracpe is offline   Reply With Quote