MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-11-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
Redstang96
Registered Member

Default Questions about my interior????

I have a 96 Gt.The interior is Black and Tan .I want to convert it to all black or black and gray.Carpet and seats arent a problem,some of the plastic can be replaced, my questions regard the steering wheel and part of the dash above the glove box(where the airbags blow out).They are both tan and i want them changed.How do i go about changing this?if anyone has changed their steering wheel and dash please reply!I dont want to set off any airbags!!Thanx!!
Redstang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

You can purchase new Black airbags " stering wheel and Pasangers side" for between 500 - 800 bucks. Or you can take them out and dye them black for under 20 bucks. Both air bags come out real easy. Just remember to take the positive battery terminal off before removing them. You can also purchase a new stering wheel " FR500" from ford motorsport for about 150 bucks. They are extra thick padded leather, real nice! Let us know if you need instructions on how to take out the airbags.

Later
Old 12-11-2003, 10:05 PM   #3
Redstang96
Registered Member

sure,instructions on removal would be great !where would i buy the dye?I think ill buy the fr500 wheel and dye the passenger side.thanx for your help!!
Old 12-12-2003, 06:13 AM   #4
surfbeast
Registered Member

I think you can find the dye at places like Pep boys, auto Zone. If not do an internet search for vynal dye.

To remove the air bag open up the glove box and pull in on the sides, it will fall all the way down. Reach up behind the air bag housing and you will find two screws, remove the screws. Now pull the entire piece out, sometimes it is hard to pull out. Remove the wiring harness from the back of the unit. " BE sure to unhook the posite battery terminal wire first! "

The air bag housing is like a rectangular box, and the two screw hold that box to a cross bar deep in the dash. The screws go into the box thru the back side of the bar ( the heads face toward the front of the car. They are a ***** to get to.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2003, 05:04 PM   #5
Redstang96
Registered Member

Thanx for the info and all of your help.I really appreciate it!!!!