MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-16-2003, 02:21 PM   #1
Titan
Registered Member

Default Impalla SS w/ LT1

I think the LT1 is the vette engine...

Anyway, a co-worker owns one (the caprice body style SS) and I drove it earlier today. I wasn't very impressed...my car felt like it pulled much harder w/ the much smaller modular engine. When I told them this, they said I was crazy, the corvette engine would wax my car. Anybody know any specs or have any first hand knowledge with this style car? It has no modifications other than an aftermarket water pump, so it's pretty much stock.

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

LMAO...The LT1 vettes were not to impressive and they weigh 3000 lbs.

His 4000 lbs tank is really a turd.

You would smoke his @ss something terrible.

Put money on it
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:07 AM   #3
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Some people have no idea of the term "power to weight ratio." Just as Dark_5.0 said, when its in a 4000+ lb car, that makes a huge difference.
Non of this takes anything away from his car, it's still an incredibly cool car to own. But if he's running his mouth, you might just have to race him and put him in his place.
On another note: When I had my bolt on 4.6L Tbird that ran 14.6-14.8's, it would go door to door with gear'd, tc'd, full exhaust, etc SS's. So even if he does some intake and exhaust work, go for it.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:48 PM   #4
SOHCGT96
Registered Member

First off, its not the same as a Vette engine. I beleive it has iron heads instead of aluminum, and likely has a milder cam as well. Plus an extra half ton of weight to move. You don't race engines, you race cars
SOHCGT96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:37 PM   #5
429mustang
Registered Member

I was reading about the 5.7's, for the same year the corvette's was putting out 300hp/335lb-ft while the Impala had 260hp/330lb-ft so it's definitely set up different as far as cam/etc. I don't know what it ois about a lot of Chevy people, but they seem to think anthing that has to do with corvettes pretty much exceeds anything else. I think corvettes are a waste of money, plus what other vehicle can be more associated with MID LIFE CRISIS? The Z06's are pretty decent though, but still expensive (I'd definitely like to drive a TT Lingenfelter though).
Old 12-17-2003, 09:49 PM   #6
explicitone
Registered Member

I say race him you should beat him they run mid to low 15s stock at least the ones I have seen

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:58 PM   #7
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

My brother is a Chevy guy...he owns a '97 Z-28 (with lots of mods)...car puts out close to 500 hp. His car has the LT1 motor which is the same engine as in the Impalla SS and the Corvette. The biggest difference is in the air induction. On the Camaro and the Impalla, the air is pinched. One of the first mods that a Z-28 owner will put into place is to correct that problem and add a bunch of ponies.

Saying that a Vette is a waste of money (or over-priced) is certainly a matter of opionion. Personally I think the car is cheap, cheap, cheap. For under $50k (for a new one), you get mid 12's and 0-60 in 4 seconds! And a used one in great shape can be gotten for less $ than a new Cobra.

The Vette is built world-class and can run and handle with almost anything on the road. Sure, it does not have the reputation of an Itallian, but at a fraction of the price, the Vette is all that and a bag of doughnuts. And, the car will do circles around a Mustang...of course most guys who drive Vettes are as old as dirt.

We should not criticize the Vette. Why? Because the Vette and the Mustang are the last of a breed...American Muscle. In case you haven't noticed, the Rice Racers are kicking our *** when it comes to sales of cars and the after-market items. I was saddened when GM decided to scrap the Camaro...sure it was funny at first and I am sure that Mustang sales took a little bump, but the competition that existed between the Mustang and Camaro for nearly 40 years made the car what it is today. Now there is nothing...but us and a Vette that cost twice as much.

Long live the American V-8!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:09 PM   #8
GTvert
Registered Member

I hate it when people call all 350 engines "corvette engines". Just more ignorant chevy owners who want their inferior cars to have a higher status than they deserve. I like the impala ss as far as a family car goes, but other than that, just about any GT should be able to beat it. If it is stock and you can run anywhere near 15.00 you should bet the farm.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:57 PM   #9
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I just remembered the episode of HP TV I watched where a stock LT1 Impala put down 206 to the wheels.

Now thats scary.

LMAO.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 02:02 PM   #10
GTvert
Registered Member

Yeah, so 206 rwhp in a tank = nothing to be scared of.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:24 PM   #11
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I haven't ridden in any new vettes with many miles on them, but I was very unimpressed with the build quality of the previous gen vettes - they rattle like crazy all over when they get some miles on them.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:48 PM   #12
SOHCGT96
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GTvert
I hate it when people call all 350 engines "corvette engines". Just more ignorant chevy owners who want their inferior cars to have a higher status than they deserve. I like the impala ss as far as a family car goes, but other than that, just about any GT should be able to beat it. If it is stock and you can run anywhere near 15.00 you should bet the farm.
I agree. Lots of 82-92 F-body guys call the TPI 350 a Corvette motor when in fact it is not. Even the LT1s were different. Like I said, the Impala has different heads, and seeing how thats kinda the most important part of the engine as far as power is concerned...

The LT1 impala is way overhyped. Its no faster than an altima, 3.8 Impala, Duratec SHO, or just about any of the other modern family cars if you get them with their best motors.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:44 PM   #13
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I must admit that I own a Chevy. It's an '02 Suburban Z-Z1 with a big V-8.

I'de like to think that the Vette has the Suburban engine!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 09:07 PM   #14
SOHCGT96
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
I must admit that I own a Chevy. It's an '02 Suburban Z-Z1 with a big V-8.

I'de like to think that the Vette has the Suburban engine!

Well, something to think about: All the LS1 guys hitting serious power levels switch over to the Iron truck blocks and bottom ends... the 6.0 I think is a popular way to go, it can still use the aluminum GenIII heads from the cars as far as I know.