MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-26-2003, 12:35 AM   #1
fastang
Registered Member

Default anyone here used the zex kit?

What shot did you use and how was the nitrous on your clutch and head gaskets? Does the NMU work well? I want to run the 125 kit and Im worried about blowing a head gasket. If you have used the kit or have any advice please let me know. Thanks.
old car: 95GT, TFS T.W. heads, Holley Intake, B303 cam, FRPP 30lb injectors, Scorpion 1.6 rollers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, March Pulleys, MSD coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550 trans, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors. 190lph pump, BBK adj FPR.
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 06:34 AM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

I believe with our crappy plastic intakes that a 75 shot is all that is recommended. Not that a 125 is bad, just not safe on a regular basis. I'm sure there are a few guys on the board who have alot of expierience with the juice and will chime in.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:17 AM   #3
Titan
Registered Member

I thought plastic intakes were only on the 96-97's...I'm not sure, but I thought mine was made of metal.

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 04:15 PM   #4
fastang
Registered Member

I have a black plastic lower and a metal upper
old car: 95GT, TFS T.W. heads, Holley Intake, B303 cam, FRPP 30lb injectors, Scorpion 1.6 rollers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, March Pulleys, MSD coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550 trans, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors. 190lph pump, BBK adj FPR.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:38 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Although not covered by the TSB, the 98 lower intake is just as weak as the 96-97 units...

My old 98's intake went bye-bye the day after the Procharger was installed.

Do yourself a favor and keep it at a 75 shot...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 03:39 AM   #6
fastang
Registered Member

I was hoping to hear from you Hammer. I remember you before you had the s/c. Didnt you squeeze before you had the s/c? Thanks for the input. What lower would you reccomend? I want to rock the 125 shot.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:39 AM   #7
oohsoobad2
Registered Member

Default Zex Nitrous

i ran the Zex wet kit on my 99 GT, jetted for75 h.p. all summer and had no problems. just used plugs one heat range colder. id be careful bought running more than 100hp there are too many bends in the intake that the nitrous can puddle up in...
oohsoobad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:25 PM   #8
fastang
Registered Member

Thank you very much. Im glad to hear that it worked well for you. Maybe Ill just stick to a 100 shot....or get a new manifold.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:45 AM   #9
oohsoobad2
Registered Member

i had my nozzle mounted in my cold air, but i am currently drilling a hole in my upper plenum,threading it and installing it there, pointing right down the intake. This eliminates two big bends the gas must flow thru, which i hope is less chance for a backfire...
In my opinion, there isnt any intake worth buying right now,the bullitt seems overpriced and the others are to serious for a street car... id port ur upper plenum and save for the fox lake intake....

Also, i had a factory clutch when i installed the nitrous, it was slipping to begin, but after one bottle it was gone... installed a Spec stage 1 in its place, very nice product
Old 11-28-2003, 06:47 PM   #10
fastang
Registered Member

Cool, looks like Im gonna get a new clutch first. Maybe Ill just stick to the 75 shot
Old 11-30-2003, 04:21 AM   #11
explicitone
Registered Member

Default Re: anyone here used the zex kit?

Quote:
Originally posted by fastang
What shot did you use and how was the nitrous on your clutch and head gaskets? Does the NMU work well? I want to run the 125 kit and Im worried about blowing a head gasket. If you have used the kit or have any advice please let me know. Thanks.
which zex kit you can run the 125 if your talking about the dry kit. but I would get a bigger fuel pump at least

and for the one that said that the nitrous will puddle its the fuel in wet kits that puddle and those are safe to if used after 3000 rpms and have a window switch to shut it off before the limiter

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 08:41 PM   #12
fastang
Registered Member

I dont like dry kits. If I get the system its going to be wet. The idea of waiting for the cpu to add fuel just doenst sound safe to me.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:48 AM   #13
Phly6
Registered Member

What exatly is the diffrence between dry and wet? Also, i have an 03 gt completly stock, can i run n2o? Thanks.
Phly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:43 AM   #14
explicitone
Registered Member

a dry kit injects just nitrous in to the manifold and the fuel pressure is raised to add more fuel

wet kit both nirtous and fuel are injected in through the manifold with the ex of direct port kits

and yes you could use nirtous on your car but I would research it before ever using it

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:25 AM   #15
oohsoobad2
Registered Member

Default Zex Nitrous

The best wet kit by far is NOS Nozzle kit, however the price tag is the draw back.

If you want to have a worry free nitrous system, just install a window switch and a fuel pressure safety switch. The will turn off the juice before the REV limiter if you miss a gear, and also will not allow the spray to come on unless the fuel pressure is at or above a certian pressure. Some kits (mainly NOS) includes these items while others require you to purchase the items seperately.
The Zex kit has the fuel system safety but not the window switch, i plan on adding one to my setup over the winter.

Since it was originally designed for imports, i hesistated to use it on my Stang. However, i am very happy with the Zex kit and cant wait to see the differance in the 1/4 mile next spring!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 04:39 PM   #16
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

I know a fellow who has been running the Zex dry kit for over 2 years w/o a problem. He runs the 125 shot and races every weekend. Nitrous is as safe as the tune. Use the right gas, plugs, and tune, and the 125 shot shouldn't be a problem. But defintely upgrade your fuel pump and a adjustable FPR wouldn't hurt either.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 03:07 AM   #17
fastang
Registered Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it I really want to swap in the 410's and spray the 125 kit. I think this 98 would be as quick or quicker than my 95 was. But it was putting down 300@ the wheels. Or should I say the "wheel" since I blew out the factory track loc and the car was bustin the one wheel motion. Couldnt lauch for **** but ate up a few ls1 Vettes from a 10mph-120 roll.