MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-29-2003, 08:52 PM   #1
impymech
Registered Member

Question Supercharger prep?

I got to drive a 03 cobra today and I have to say that it was the baddest meanest car I have ever drove! I have a 03 GT and I am now set on getting it supercherged. I have seen some of the web sets for different companies selling blowers and they all seem to claim that you can just bolt one on and away you go. I find this hard to believe. When Ford built the 03 GT's did the engineers have us mooders in mind? Will the stock engine components, suspension, transmission ect... be able to handle another 100 HP? I know for a fact that the plastic intake manifold was not engineered to handle that and im pretty sure thats going to have to go. I guess my question is what else would need to be preped or replaced? I don't plan to race at the track all the time and this car will be my daily driver. I want to be able to get the power in a safe manner and still be able to take a 600 mile road trip. Thanks for any input.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:32 AM   #2
explicitone
Registered Member

Default Re: Supercharger prep?

Quote:
Originally posted by impymech
I got to drive a 03 cobra today and I have to say that it was the baddest meanest car I have ever drove! I have a 03 GT and I am now set on getting it supercherged. I have seen some of the web sets for different companies selling blowers and they all seem to claim that you can just bolt one on and away you go. I find this hard to believe. When Ford built the 03 GT's did the engineers have us mooders in mind? Will the stock engine components, suspension, transmission ect... be able to handle another 100 HP? I know for a fact that the plastic intake manifold was not engineered to handle that and im pretty sure thats going to have to go. I guess my question is what else would need to be preped or replaced? I don't plan to race at the track all the time and this car will be my daily driver. I want to be able to get the power in a safe manner and still be able to take a 600 mile road trip. Thanks for any input.
the plastic manifold will be fine under 14lbs of boost the things you have to worry the most about is the stock rods and pistons there have been people with a good tune go 50k on the stock bottom end with 10lbs of boost and there have been people with a not so good tune go 2k with 8lbs and have the bottom end let go.

what I am saying no matter what blower you get ,get it dyno tuned and not just run the tune thats comes with the blower

try looking here www.modularfordpowerhouse.com and look at there mongoose supercharger kits I thinkit is the best to go with

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 10:15 AM   #3
Titan
Registered Member

If you've got the money, check in to Kenne Bell. They're a little more expensive, but you don't have to spool the charger. You get the same power (they claim) at 1500 rpms as you do at 5000 rpms. The only downfall I've heard about them is they run out of blow in high rpm ranges. Just a thought...

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 03:29 PM   #4
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan
If you've got the money, check in to Kenne Bell. They're a little more expensive, but you don't have to spool the charger. You get the same power (they claim) at 1500 rpms as you do at 5000 rpms. The only downfall I've heard about them is they run out of blow in high rpm ranges. Just a thought...
that's all true except the last part. The reason people think they don't make as much power up high as a vortech is that they make so much power down low. The power is there, its just not as dramatic.

the only advice you need is such...

buy a complete kenne bell kit and be done with it. comes with ALL the support pieces you need to be safe. Unless you are doing 5k drag launches. then you're never safe....

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:00 PM   #5
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Its hard to argue with these guys. The Kenne Bell is making huge power at "safe" boost numbers, and its only drawback is the price. But supercharging is not cheap in anyway shape or form, so if you are going to do it, do it right the first time. I recogmend the intercooled kit, but replace the 9# pulley with a 6# and you should have a daily driver that will last a long, long time (with a proper tune of course.)
If you take it to the track, add some race gas and then you can swap to the 9 or 11# pulley. Like I always say, a $50 tank of race gas is cheaper the a $4K rebuild.
But down the road, if you save money for a forged rebuild, then run the 9# pulley. You still should have no problems, but at least you can fix it if a problem should arise.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote