MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-02-2003, 09:43 PM   #1
Phly6
Registered Member

Default Are Looks Going to Hurt Performance?

Hey everyone, Christmas is comming and that means stuff for the stang. I have an 03 GT and im looking to upgrade the exterior. I dont think the car looks bad at the moment, but when i look out the window from work and see it sittiing in the back of the parking lot, it just doesnt look as fierce as it actually is. Its not a Cobra but i have blown away just about everything ive raced and i want people to know. I back it in so i am staring at the front from far away and thats what im looking to change as of right now. One of my coworkers has a dodge stealth and is always complaning that my car is ugly and his looks much better. Obviously i know he just doing to bust my chops but after a while i started thinking about it and decided it could look better. Im thinking of a new front thats lower for it and some black racing stripes. Id also like some stickers or something for the side but im not exactly sure what kind. I dont want it to look ricey at all, just fierce. Also id love one of thoes really tall spoilers that are actually for american cars, not imports. Any ideas on colors for stripes? or where i could find the front body kit? Also, my friend told me that if i get a lower front ill have to buy some kind of extension for the intake pipe cause a lot of the airflow comes from underneath and it will be cut down if i get the body kit for the front. This true? Thanks any helpful imput appreciated.
Phly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:50 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Definately an Eibach Pro-Kit is in order:
1.5 inch drop and better handling...

Maybe some Bullitt brake calipers?

Those are two things that would increase looks AND performance...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:19 PM   #3
Phly6
Registered Member

Looks good but that looks like it lowers it right? Thats a big warranty no-no. Thx though.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:38 PM   #4
Phly6
Registered Member

Just something about the front that doesnt say get out of the way when someone sees it in the rear view mirror. Black racing stripes? New front end?
Old 12-03-2003, 06:48 AM   #5
explicitone
Registered Member

I would stay away from the things you have said they all sound a little bit rice (you said you dont want rice) for looks I would go with so rims(cobra r, etc...etc..) and get a nice light weight hood

but thats just me

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:56 AM   #6
surfbeast
Registered Member

There are a few body kits ( saleen,Roush etc.. ) that make it look meaner. The cobra R hoods look nice but skip that big RICER wing. The lowering kit should not effect warranty. Only mods that can be proven to have caused the problem are not covered. Lowering the car will not effect engine or drive train. Also, a new front end or lowering the car will not effect airflow. Your friend with the wannabie muscle car dosen't know jack! A nice set of stripes is nice but please skip the stickers unless you are talking about a nice body graphics.

Just my 2 cents
Old 12-04-2003, 09:32 AM   #7
roundeye82
Registered Member

The Cobra R front splitter bumper looks pretty mean or the Saleen front bumper gives a wider looking stance. But I would stay away from the graphics or the wing also. There is a set of graphics that brings back the old "boss" mustang look and they are pretty sweet. I'm not sure what color stang you drive or what it may look like on it, but I have seen it on white and tan mustangs and it looks great. JMO though!!
roundeye82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:52 AM   #8
Phly6
Registered Member

Its kinda a maroonish red. ( Not my 1st choice but they gave me a really good deal on it. ) Id be happy to attach a picture but i have no idea how to or if i even can.

Last edited by Phly6; 12-04-2003 at 11:31 AM..
Old 12-04-2003, 02:55 PM   #9
roundeye82
Registered Member

Here is a site devoted to hoods and stripes!!

http://www.graphic-express.com/ford_..._decals.htm#v8

Try this and maybe you will get an idea about what you want!!
roundeye82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:34 AM   #10
The Deuce
Registered Member

Um, there is nothing about a Dodge Stealth that says, "Get out of my way"

Here is a picture of one of the fastest 03's I personally know. It's a mid 11 car at the moment.

oh yeah, here's an action shot...

It IS the same car. IMO the is just something cool about cars actually being fast, rather than looking fast.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:39 AM   #11
GTvert
Registered Member

First off, do not be afraid of a dodge stealth.It was a weak attempt by dodge to make a sports car.It might as well be rice with the paint matched wheels that look like hubcaps. There are some tasteful body kits, but there are also some pretty lame ones that everyone in the mustang community will make fun of you for. The Cobra R hood is cool, but as everyone else stated, the wing sucks. You might as well put TYPE-R on your license plate. I won't even get started about the stickers on the side. I agree that you should lower it, the ride height on the stock mustang is way too high.Lowering it will make it look more aggressive. If you haven't already, tinted windows help the appearance quite a bit too. Just my two cents, take it with a grain of salt if you want.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:49 PM   #12
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Tell your Dodge buddy to go F himself! Ask him this question "Which car is still being made?" That should shut him up.

Look, there is nothing worse than an overdone car and besides, I don't like to draw too much of the wrong attention. Here are some cool, cheap things that I have done which collectively, customize the look of the car without going nuts:

1 - Add a chin spoiler. Makes the car look lower and it is actually functional. Can install in minutes and costs <$60 (www.mustangtuning.com)

2 - Paint your brake calipers red or some great color. Looks awsome. Paint costs $6 (make sure you get the right stuff). I got mine at Sacremento Mustang. Takes about 2 hours with lots of break time. I watched football while I did mine. If interested, I will give you some secrets that I learned to make it look real good.

3 - Get rid of the long radio attenae that looks like a buick. $20 - $30 bucks. Mustaining tunining has a bullit style on sale now for $19 I think.

4 - Buy and install a front end delete kit. Get rid of the honeycomb look. The new, open front end will say "power". Looks like the MACH1. $44.00 right now at Mustang Tuning.

There you go. $130 and your car will look different and more agressive. And all of these changes are reversable (except maybe the brake calipers).

You could also chrome your wheels. This runs about $550 with a wheel exchange program.

I hate large rear spoliers. They "spoil" the car. They don't work and add weight to the vehicle. You have to be going VERY fast to see any increase in downward force. Also, getting the paint to match never seems to work.

I have seen guys move their spoilers back about an inch so that it appears to be hanging over the back. This mod costs ZERO and won't change the performance over what you have. I have instructions on doing this if you want but you can't change it back as you have to drill new holes in the car. I am thinking of doing this one too.

Just a few thoughts.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:46 PM   #13
Phly6
Registered Member

Awesome man, i like the chin spoiler. What do we think about the altezza tail lights? Ive heard mixed reviewes and still undecided about them myself. What does everyone else think? Keep in mind my car is maroonish red, will they look allright? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:53 PM   #14
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Objectively speaking, I like the alteeza lights...I would like them a whole lot more if they weren't used by so many rice burners. As a result, they look so young because I see so many kids driving cars with those lights.

I am an old fart in my mid 30's. My stang is a third car...just a hoby. The tail lights really aren't me, but you are a young guy. Also, the newer stang tail lights are kind of retro. They look like those from the '65 Stang. When I was a kid, I remember that car vividly (see, I am old). For that reason, I have left them on my car. I would prefer to put the money under the hood.

One great thing about stangs is that the sky is the limit. There is a huge market out there for this kind of stuff.

Check out this web site:

www.mustangworld.com

It is really an awesome website. Lots of photos of cars and be sure to scroll down and look on the right for all of the "How To" articles. There is tons of stuff on how to make changes to your stang...many are free. Great website for cool ideas.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 12-12-2003, 06:02 PM   #15
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

If you decide to go with the Alteeza lights, Mustang Tuning has them for $129 right now.

http://store.yahoo.com/mustangtuning/lights.html

My Stang:
Old 12-12-2003, 07:03 PM   #16
surfbeast
Registered Member

If your a young guy that likes the "ricer" look then go for the big wing, Altezas, and the big APC sticker. Or better yet BUY A HONDA! Of course all things are relative. Everyone likes something different, That's what makes modding yur car so much fun! Do what makes YOU happy! Personaly I think a stang should look like a muscle car not an import
Old 12-12-2003, 11:26 PM   #17
Phly6
Registered Member

easy surf, just an innocent question, im not turning it into a honda. Just looking for some open opinions. Ive seen them on a brown stang, same year as mine and i didnt think they looked that bad. It was wierd because almost all of them i see i hate. Civics, eclipses, even my friends dinkey little GMC truck. But they actualy looked ok on a stang, thats why i wanted some outside opinions. But thanks Blake, uve got some really good ideas. Any other ideas for my stang? I was considering grey racing stripes, about 7 in.? down the middle. Some people dont like them to come down all the way to the bumper, and im still undecided on it. I dont know if i should get em or leave it solid. Thanks again!
Old 12-13-2003, 12:11 AM   #18
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Phly6:

For my taste, I love the Shelby stripes on a Mustang. You know, the dual wide stripes that seem to start under the rear bumber, go over the top of the car, down the hood, and then under the front bumper. I think they look awesome.

Here is a website with some photos and prices. I have a black convt with a tan top. I would love to get tan Shelby stripes for mine to match the top and interior. I think it would look great especially with the top down.

http://www.bobwhitedecals.com/9903Decals.html

I currently have the black stock stripe on my hood. Seems like a pain in the *** to remove old stripes, but they send instructions on how to take them off.

I just put on today a 13 inch billet style radio antenna that I got from Mustang Tuning for $20. Looks good. I never liked the long "truck" antenna on the car.

My Stang:
Old 12-13-2003, 12:19 AM   #19
Phly6
Registered Member

Hmm, i like the 10' stripes on the blue gt. (By the way, i have the same color stang as the red one on that site.) U think grey is gonna look good? Maybe Black or even tan? I saw that antennna too, just waiting till i get paid tommorow I do need to stop spending money, for now at least, or its gonna be a very boring christmas for the rest of my family when they have a bunch of car parts under the tree.. The stripes seem pretty expensive though, more then the taillights!?!? thanks for the site though. Im gonna be lookin around, plz lemme know if you see any cheaper ones. I might be able to sneak them in before christmas if i find the right price. Thanks again man.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:10 PM   #20
G-ForceJunkie
Registered Member

you get always get black out headlights if you don't already have them
G-ForceJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote