MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-11-2003, 11:00 PM   #1
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Tires: Yoko AVS ES 100

Folks...I am looking for anyone that has experience with this tire: Yoko AVS ES 100 (preferably 245/45 17's). Come highly recomended by Tire Rack and Discount Tire for my driving situation. This is a summer tire designed for street and some track use.

If you have used this tire with your Mustang, please tell me what you think.

Thanks!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:20 PM   #2
Morgstang
Registered Member

Just put 275/40/17's on my 02 GT. Overall im impressed with the looks BUT overall i dont notice much improved traction over the stock goodyears. Havent run it at the track to see if there is any difference yet, just by the normal drivng i do i havent seen much increase in traction. If you decide on them do some price comparisons, if you find a lower price than Discount Tire they will match or bet that price. Just make sure you have a price quote on the competitors letterhead.
Morgstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 06:53 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Thanks for the response. Question: You went with a wider, lower profile tire. Do you have stock rims? Do they rub if they are?

Blake

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 12-13-2003, 10:21 PM   #4
Morgstang
Registered Member

Hey Blake,
I have them on Cobra R wheels 17x9's. No they dont rub and i have it dropped 1 1/2" with Steeda Sport springs. After i posted this i went out and made a few passes just to test them and they feal a little better now. Maybe i just had to burn them a little to get the newness off...lol As you stated also, they are a very highly recommended tire. If your looking for something a little stickier go with a Nitto 555 of BFG drag radial. Good luck.
Morgstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 08:53 AM   #5
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I currently have Sumitomos. The Yoko's and Kuhmos have also come highly recomended. I decided that I would go with the Yoko's but wanted to find some folks here that had used them. Regarding the Nitto's, I also considered them. Discount Tire sells both the Nitto and the Yoko's. Tire Rack dies not sell the Nitto tires. It seems that the Nitto does not fit my style of driving as unless you get the drag style radials, they are actually considered an all season tire (according to Discount Tire).

The Yokos are described as a summer tire that is capable of running at the track on acassion. But they told me to go with a Nitto drag radial (forget the model) if I was planning on running at the track more often.

The Yoko just seems like the right tire for me and the car. I am glad to hear your feelings have improved about the tire. I have always heard that you need to spin a new tire a fews times to really get them going.

Thanks,

Blake

My Stang:
Old 12-14-2003, 09:56 PM   #6
SleeperGT
Registered Member

I have gone through many different sets of tires...original Goodyears (which I think are the worst tire out there, terrifying hydo-planing charachteristics above 50 mph), BFG KDWS's (excellent wet traction, OK dry weather), Kumo Supra's, great tire for the price and I think as good, if not a smidge better than the BFG's for way less money. I have now just tried the Yoko AVS ES 100's (just put them on a week ago). I was shopping them against another set of Kumo's. I went with the Yoko's because it sounded like I'd get a better ride quality and I most definitely did. They also have a good dry traction, as good as can be expected, better than the BFG's and seem as good as the Kumo's, maybe a smidge better, and they most definetly have a great ride. I'd say potentially worth the extra money over the Kumo's, however I think the Kumo's have really dropped in prices to less than $90 a tire for 17" 245/45, which is an amazing price for such a good quality tire. Anyways, you won't regret going with the Yoko's, I haven't at all.
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
Steeda Lower Control Arms
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

New Track Times Coming Soon
SleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:57 PM   #7
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Hey Sleeper! I really appreciate that email. As you can see, it is really a tough call between the Kumos and the Yokos. If they were the same price, sounds like you would go with the Yokos for sure. Question is, are they worth the extra money? Answer, either option is probably good. Most likely I will end up with the Yokos.

BTW, I see you live in FL. We have 10 inches of new snow on the ground here with more to come. I just spent a week in Orlando...you have a great state. If you have wanted to trade places for a while, let me know.

My Stang:
Old 12-15-2003, 10:37 AM   #8
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Blake - I really was pretty happy with the Kumo's, I really just wanted to see if the the Yoko's would be any better, specially with the ride quality and noise. Really time will tell as they wear as almost all of the tires I've had have been very good brand new, it just depends on how they wear (except for the Goodyears, which I think stank from the start). I would have to say the ride quality/noise is better with the AVS'.

Thanks for the comment on the state of FL. I have to admit I am a "Damn Yankee", one that visited and never went home. I came down from the DC area 7 years ago and love it. Great cost of living, minimal traffic, great weather and of course the beach. Good luck with the tires.
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's